Class Politics Rule 3(f)ii

J

JohnPorter

Rule 3(f)ii states that the outhaul line must pass through the outhaul fairlead as a moving line at least once. At the same time, a block is allowed to be attached to that fairlead provided this rule is satisfied. It seems to me that unless you have your outhaul making two "passes" past this point, you cannot use a pulley and satisfy this rule. I have seen many boats where the "moving" line is passing through a pulley there. Are they all in violation of this rule?

Rule 3(f)ii states that the outhaul line must pass through the outhaul fairlead as a moving line at least once. At the same time, a block is allowed to be attached to that fairlead provided this rule is satisfied. It seems to me that unless you have your outhaul making two "passes" past this point, you cannot use a pulley and satisfy this rule. I have seen many boats where the "moving" line is passing through a pulley there. Are they all in violation of this rule?

Yes, the moving part of the line must pass through the fairlead at the end of the boom. "Moving line" does not mean the part which is tied off, meaning that a set up with the line passing through a block, going to the clew of the sail, then back to tie off at the fairlead does not satisfy this rule and will not pass inspection by a measurer (and this exact point is on the measurer's checklist).

FWIW, my set up passes through the fairlead, to a block attached to a shackle which attaches to the sail, then back to tie off at the fairlead. In one variation or another (of the block/shackle at the clew of the sail), this seems pretty standard to me. For example, in place of the shackle I use I've seen the block tied directly to the clew, though, IMHO, this turns the flapping clew into a bit of a weapon when onshore...

Back