rudder won't lock down

Wildman

I just bought a 14.2 Capri the kick up rudder lock seems to be stuck down so it won't lock. Can this be repaired or do I need to buy a new rudder?

Thanks!

Not sure if I understand all the way. If you’re saying that you can’t kick it up:
There’s a little ball on the rudder that locks into the hole (see pic). Mine has been jammed before. Take the wing nut off and the screw that goes through it. After that you can leverage and pull the rudder out of the metal socket and clean it up.

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 68
Yes! Thanks for your response...That's exactly what I'm talking about. The ball is stuck in the down position so the rudder won't lock and it let's it swing up. I took the wing nut off to try to access it. but the bolt won't come loose it looks like there a roll pin installed through the head of the bolt? So how did you get the ball to pop out again? I've tried nut blaster and tapping it... Nothing. Maybe soak it in WD-40 I didn't know

I don’t fully remember. I don’t know if I’ll have a chance to take it apart again. Here’s what I think I remember:
Behind the tiller plate on the top of the rudder, there’s a metal plate with a hole for the bolt and on that plate is a half ball, like a nipple (not a retractable spring ball). It’s a friction stop. The ball won’t move.
You have to use the leverage of the rudder and the tiller handle against the floor to bend/ slide the system past the half ball.

I have a vague memory of sticking something between the rudder and the metal to pry to get past the ball

It might help if you could share a picture of the roll pin in the bolt.

Thanks... so no spring on the ball eh? It almost looks flat not round! So it wont lock just swings up right past it. I can't get at it until I can get it out of the bracket. I can't do that until I drill out the stupid roll pin in the bolt head.... I'll do that today and let you know what happens ...I hope I can fix it.... a new one is 800 bucks! I'll try to get some pics to you. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Back