Rudder / Shallow Water

ncpirate

Is there a recommended way to attach a bungee cord to the rudder to keep it fully extended without tightening up the wing nut on the rudder pivot point?

Thanks

I had a C14.2 rudder that not stay in the full down position when sailing so I drilled a hole through the the rudder and the aluminum bracket. Then I installed a quick pin that I could release before coming to swallows.

Laser rudders use a piece of line lead from a hole /recess in the front edge of the rudder up to the aft of the rudder head anf cleats to the tiller. It works quite well.

Thats all I've got on the subject, maybe some one else has a good solution for you.

Are you bumping the bottom when you sail? If you want to use bungee as a spring hold down , maybe copy what is done on the Capri 14.2 centerboard using a stamped shackle attached to the front of the rudder, up to the top of the rudder bracket (near the tiller) and then back to the stamped shackle. That way the bungee might be long enough to have needed elastivity.

Thanks for the information. I am attempting to sail on Bogue Sound, North Carolina. The water depth ranges from four to twelve feet during high tide and approximately three feet less at low tide. I have not had a problem with the rudder at or near high tide, but my first attempt to sail at low tide resulted in both the centerboard and rudder hitting the sandy bottom on occasion.

Sounds like the best time to sail is high tide, just kidding. I am thinking you'd want the rudder to stay down strictly on a bungee with the wing nut very loose so the rudder would act more like the center board does in the C14.2. You just need a long enough bungee to work properly for the rudder application.

Back