Rudder reshaping/refinishing

phish133

Sunfish sailor
Just a general question. I'm going to re-measure my rudder dimensions, and possibly reshape it (leading edge, trailing edge, etc...), and refinish it. Does anyone have any suggestions for the finish to use. Hi-tech paint(s)? Simply wet-sand? (and Mclube?) I've noticed alot of rudders have been painted.

Thanks in advance.

phish,

Many time the rudders are painted after having the leading edge reshaped with Marine-Tex and/or fiberglassing (legal if you race) the whole thing. The SF Bible has an article on reshapeing the rudder/daggerboard leading edge (page 44). Also check previous posts on daggerboards and rudders, reshapeing has been addressed in them. The same methods apply to both.

BUT, before you go hog wild check on the cost of materials to do it right. Between the glass cloth, West Epoxy, and fillers, not to mention at least 10 hours of labor it's sometime better if you are not racing to simple get a small can of Marinetex and just fill in the gouges.

phish,

If you're not going to paint your rudder, I HIGHLY recommend you use a 2 part urethane I've been using for years. It's marketed to the aviation community so you won't find it at your local marina. It's a bit pricey but this is more than made up by its longevity. It may well be the last time you varnish your parts. I did mine 25 yrs. ago and refreshed them this past summer. I think it's one of the best kept secrets in the marine arena! Search on Polyfiber aircraft coatings. They'll refer you to a local dealer in your area. The product is known as, UV-550. They'll also send a smaller can of catalyst, and reducer. If you decide to go this route, I'll advise further.

Al Courtines [email protected]

Back