Rudder Question

sailfishgirl

I just came across a beautiful sailfish. I just took it out and it sails beautifully! However, some work definitly needs to be done to the woodwork (handrails, rudder and centerboard). I have made new hand rails, and need to varnish them. I am in no means a carpenter. Any ideas on what varnish to use in order to keep all the wooden things on board in good condition?

Thanks for your help!

Any ideas on what varnish to use in order to keep all the wooden things on board in good condition?
Any good "marine" varnish.

(Marine meaning higher than furniture grade solids the stuff that forms the coating when the solvent evaporates or the plastic cures into a hard shell ... and ... higher levels of UV inhibitor that forms a sun shield for 24/7 outdoor exposure)

In a nutshell...

There are two types of "varnish", oil based (phenolic) and polyurethane.

Oil based contains "drying oils" like linseed oil that treat the wood a little, as well as the protective coating solids. These are suspended in a solvent that evaporates leaving the coating behind.

Polyurethane is a plastic shell that hardens without much evaporation. Humidity in the air triggers the hardening process. There is a 2-part variety where the moisture trigger (catalyst) is in the second part. This version sets up more consistently than relying on the humidity present in the surrounding air. Highly recommended for application in dry climates.

There are no oils in a polyurethane to help condition the underlying wood so pre-treatment of dry wood is recommended.

Polyurethane "varnish" has a better reputation for durability and longevity over oil based.

On the economy end of the scale are brands like Rust-Oleum Marine, at the upper end, Interlux or Epifanes.

A good catalog to browse whether you order from them or not is:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com

Back