Rudder Pivot Point “improvement”

MartyDK

During the winter I will be working on my wooden rudder and I came to think of a small improvement to minimise wear in the pivot point hole. I am considering to drill a slightly bigger hole and insert a tube (metal, pvc or plastic) with an internal diameter that matches the bolt. Any wear from pivoting the rudder will then affect the bolt and tubing only as opposed to the wood.

Does this sound insane?

Thanks.

I'd use a sturdy size of stainless steel--bedded in epoxy--and pressed-in NOT too firmly.

Hi Marty, I used G-10 Garolite tubing. Lighter than stainless, zero chance of corrosion, easy to cut, and cheap. You can find it at McMaster Carr.

Hi Marty, I used G-10 Garolite tubing. Lighter than stainless, zero chance of corrosion, easy to cut, and cheap. You can find it at McMaster Carr.
Thanks, I live in Europe but will see what alternatives I can get here.

Actually, that's what I did.
Why did you do that :confused: when you could have taken a section from a graphite golf club shaft—which is lighter than stainless, zero chance of corrosion, strong, easy to cut, and a putter costs only a dollar or two at Salvation-Army stores. ;)

You can get the brass bushings as Ace Hardware. Correct size no adjustment
needed to bushing. The also have the large thin plastic fender washers. The
bushings work fine as a press fit. Mainly what you get is a rudder that will
not split over time. Use the bushings in both the pivot point and the handle
pivot point.

Back