Rudder pin for old stlye sunfish rudder assembly

imported_Mark

Hello -

Does anyone know where I could locate some old style rudder pins?

I am sure this is a common question.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

You might find the part on the "For Sale" section of this site. <http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=3423>

If that does not work out they occasionally sell on ebay

Good Luck

Mark,

I do have this part for sale but it is with a full set of bronze/brass old style deck
hardware. my recent ad in the "For Sale" section in this site. You can buy the whole lot of you want and then re-sell the parts you don't want/need.

In a pinch, a 1/4" brass told with lock nut also works, but is not quick release like the old Alcort toggle pin.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Hmm. This summer I bought a beat up old style SF. "Rudder Pin"? I wonder if the rig I bought has such a pin. Does anyone have a photo, or if I send a foto of my rudder, can you tell me if the pin is THERE/NOT THERE ;) (Is it the vertical brass (or bronze) rod that is about 5 to 6 inches long and perhaps 1/4 to 3/8 inch in diameter. (Someone say yes.) <fingers crosses>

Nope, the pin is 1/4" diameter brass rod hooked to the boat originally by a chain and has a "butterfly flat piece that swivels to allow it to hold the pin and hold the rudder assembly to the boat or let it be removed . The rod you are talking about is actually a long bolt used to tension the lower bracket to provide holding power to keep the rudder bottom in position and allow it to come "pop out" then the rudder contacts something.

Hope this helps

Just keep this in mind - everything pictured is obsolete.

Attachments

• DSC0098534.jpg
    DSC0098534.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 221
  • img143.gif
    img143.gif
    34.7 KB · Views: 159
Buy some aluminum stock at Home Depot of the correct diameter, cut to size, drill two holes on each end and use two retaining clips (those wire circles) to hold it in place. Remove one clip to remove the pin and rudder when needed. Done.

Fred

I want to also thank everyone. Dan, those photos were so helpful. It's "1." on that parts sheet, correct. It wasn't on the rudder, so I went outside to look on the transom. Whew! I have it. Maybe I should round up or fabricate a few replacements for this pin?

When someone said 'quick release' do they mean quick as in setting up the rigging or quick-I'm-sinking sort of release? I assume the former situation.

Fred P., I've heard those ss wire circles referred to as "ring dings." Someone I met at a dock called them "--- <cuss word> --" pins because that's what he says when he looses one overboard.

- those photos were so helpful. It's "1." on that parts sheet, correct.
That's what I gathered from the question. Thanks really goes to Corpus Cristi Sports and the Sunfish Sailors Web for making those old pictures available for me to "borrow".

When someone said 'quick release' do they mean quick as in setting up ?
Correct, rather than having to get out tools and unbolt the rudder each time or at least mess with unscrewing wingnuts.

Someone I met at a dock called them "--- <cuss word> --" pins because that's what he says when he looses one overboard.
Long long ago that chain was screwed to the upper plate so the pin wouldn't get lost. What a concept :eek: But hey, your dock side acquaintance is probably one of those folks unencumbered by the thought process.

Attachments

• Pin.jpg
    Pin.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 118
Nice photo.

As for the ~!@#$&! Pins, he meant those little stainless steel circular keepers. Like a keychain circle. On one of our boats we've got it tethered with a nylon string, but even then, I've lost one in the drink. Always good to have a few extra on hand ;)

Geez, Dan, if I'm ever looking for a photo, you're on my five list.

Back