Rudder Operation

Satch4621

Hello all, I have been reading the forums for a while now. I haven’t posted until now as I am a newbie and didn’t have a sunfish up until about a month ago. I have learned so much for everyone. Thank you.

I have a quick question on operating the rudder.

I use the tiller to push the rudder down when heading out and pull up when I get into shallow water. It requires a bit of force to do this so I wanted to confirm if this is the correct way of lowering and raising the rudder? How easy should it be to push/pull it down or up? Seem like a stupid question but I just don’t want to cause any damage.

Thanks for the feedback.

That's the way to do it if you go that route. I try not to as it puts a lot of pressure on the blade and usually where the wood blades split. I find it better to get the boat off the beach into deep enough water for the rudder blade to be in the down position and either lower the blade using my hands on the blade or installing it onto the gudgeon from in the water. The reverse when I sail in to shore.

Yes, it is not a good idea to pull it up like that. There is a good chance you will split it. You need to reach back, grab the blade itself and pull it up.

Thanks for the feedback. I do not want to risk causing any damage.

Beldar,
You only mention pulling it up. What are your thoughts on putting it down with the tiller? Does is pose the same risk?

I don't think there is a risk when putting it down with the tiller. Someone else will know for sure. I push it down with my hand, not with the tiller. BB

The newer glass rudder blades are so much stronger than the earlier wood blades that I doubt there is much risk in damaging a glass blade by using the tiller to lower or retract the blade
but I agree that doing it by hand is safer for either the wood or glass blades.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

My wife always has her crew (me) lower and raise it for her, so no problem either way for her!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 33

Back