Rudder on hold

Hey guys, if I'm going out sailing by myself it would be great if I can fixate the rudder for a few seconds if I want to pull up the sail. Do you guys have an idea how to do this?

Haven't tried it yet, but here's what I'd try:

1) have a bungie stretched across the hull behind the cockpit,

2) have one of those velcro straps used to wrap up extension cords, on the bungie

Then you can strap down the tiller quickly, and unstrap it.

There is the Tiller Tamer: Tiller-Tamer™ | Davis Instruments

But most people here on the Sunfish Forum discourage "locking" the tiller into position, as you are no longer "in control" of the sailing direction if something happens and you don't instinctively reach back there and disconnect whatever method you end up using.

I typically will just shift my position so that I'm sitting towards the back corner of the cockpit, and just use rotate my leg up onto the deck and put the tiller under my thigh, and use my weight to just hold the tiller in place for a brief time so I can use two handles to fiddle with the rigging or whatever the case may be.

Why not just flip up the rudder?

seriously I’m new to sailing, is there a negative to just flipping up the rudder for this purpose?

flipping up the rudder would mean you'll likely drift off course - temporarily holding the rudder at least keeps you sailing the same general direction

Note that the issue is about raising the sail while on the water. At least that's my understanding.
First of all, it's much easier to raise the sail while on land or standing in shallow water. But if this is not possible, then one needs to paddle out, swim the boat out, or have someone pull the boat to a safe area, away from other boats.
So now we are out there and not going anywhere, unless there is current, because the sail is still down. Hence, a rudder won't do a thing. Raising the sail is not that easy under these circumstances, but I have seen experienced sailors do this in between races to adjust the rig. How is this done?
It's best to line up the hull so that the wind will hit the starboard (right) side first. Since the halyard goes to the starboard side of the boat, you need to be on you knees (or one knee) on that side, grab the halyard and start pulling fast. The sail will start to catch wind as it is raised, but since you have the boat lined up properly, the rig will swing to the (port) left side of the boat. Tie down the halyard and you are all set.
It would be good to practice this.

My boat is stationed in a large harbour, filled with hundreds of boats. I need to get out of there before I can start sailing.
As you can see at the attached image, I have some traveling to do with the paddles before I can start sailing. The whole distance of the red line is about one mile. So, with your guys expertise, how would you get out of my harbour?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 16.43.48 copy.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 16.43.48 copy.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
No other launch areas available? Paddling into the wind could be tough. Experienced sailors could sail out if it was downwind ...as it looks tight to tack especially with traffic and between the piers.

Also..ive found leaving the mast up and then just raising the sails should only take a couple of seconds. Let the mainsheet run free...with a stopper knot...and forget the rudder. After 5-10 seconds raising the sail, scurry back into the cockpit and resume course and sail/trim as needed. Try to start raising with the boat pointed into the wind, to give you the most time before it starts drifting off downwind. Be quick and deliberate at this point and all should be fine.

And yes...position the boat so it so it won't drift to port tack, with the boom sweeping you off the deck.

Question has come up a couple of times, how to get out of the channel etc. Best
answer I heard is tow it out with a 12' Aluminum boat, anchor the Aluminum
and transfer/sail the Sunfish. Will someone call the CG if they see a empty
aluminum boat? Will the aluminum boat drag anchor? Probably the simple
solution is to take a friend with you and leave him with the aluminum. I sort
of provides a nice safety factor for both people. I have a 15.5 foot Saftymate
with a 25 hp 1954 Johnson. Motor was first outboard made to pull a waterski.
Thing pulls like a tractor, would make short work of a Sunfish however the
person on the Sunfish would be gasping in a dense cloud of 25:1 blue smoke.
In fact if I put it in idle and stop moving I end up in the middle of the blue cloud.
Cheese burgers and exhaust smoke, All American makes the Duke proud.

It sure would be a lot easier to beach launch the boat. That is what most of us do. Looking at Google Maps it looks like there are some nearby sites. Can you access any of them?

Mike
beach launch.jpg

I second Mike's thoughts. Getting out of that harbor and channel would require a great deal of skill (and some luck).
There are several inland lakes nearby as well.

It depends on the wind direction though. If The wind gives you a reach in and out of this harbour there is no problem. Near me there is a sailing club who have to sail up a very narrow channel to get out to sea. They can do this because the prevailing SW wind means it is nearly always a reach both ways.
Screenshot 2019-11-08 10.04.10.png

Hey guys, if I'm going out sailing by myself it would be great if I can fixate the rudder for a few seconds if I want to pull up the sail. Do you guys have an idea how to do this?
My situation is different, but I still have to paddle out a distance until I'm clear of large tree branch overhang. The sail doesn't get raised until I'm out about 100 American feet. (European feet may be different). ;) The rudder has to be held in a position to counter paddle strokes and wind direction. :confused:

I put a leg on the tiller, and hoist the sail from a sitting position. :cool: An extra length of halyard has to be added to secure the halyard at a handy cam cleat (pictured below—at arrow). The halyard could pass through a hole drilled through the splashguard, but I've found that's not necessary and, anyway, difficult to position in the correct spot. :confused:

P6110041-003.JPG

In the case of running out of room leaving the harbor, the sail can be quickly doused, and paddling resumed.

(Rinse, repeat).

Many thanks for all the good snd helpfull tips. I'll just give it a go next summer and try different options, paddling, or launching the Sunfish at a different location

'Checked the reviews on Black Friday, so I don't get bad reviews myself. :( Here is one I found that uses the drill paddle on a small sailboat:

5 stars

Just so crazy it works November 8, 2018
Verified Purchase

I literally thought I thought of this idea but then I found it online. It works great on our 80 pound tiny Snark a sailboat to get out to the wind or back to the dock. The only downside is the noise of my drill which is louder than I expected. So I wouldn’t cruise with this. And of course you have to hold it on the back of the boat unless you were to make some sort of bracket to hold it. I did a review of it on YouTube with my sailboat.

Actually, with any small propeller, a 4-foot metal shaft and a wet pool noodle, anyone can make one of these. A bearing is mentioned, but it's the only part that is mentioned as defective/seized.
They suggest 18 volts for the drill, and cycle it, so the drill doesn't overheat.

I suspect the daggerboard will need to be down, as paddling (other than a kayak paddle) has shown a Sunfish is otherwise "a handful".

Hi guys, I'm still a bit struggling how to maintain course when I stop peddeling and want to raise my sail. So, if anyone has thoughts, ideas, tips please let me know. Thanks in advance!

At Ocean State/Job Lots stores in New England, kayak paddles are just $12.

At one time, I thought I'd add Hobie's pedals to my aluminum canoe. (They just drop in a slot through the bottom). I got the urge when a friend bought an entire Hobie kayak/pedal boat at a yard sale for $130. (!) :cool:

But new from Hobie, they're $600, so the idea faded. (bombed). :(

This thread has gotten a bit off course. To hold the tiller in one place use a length of bungy. Stretch this from one traveler eyelet to the other eyelet and over the tiller. With a slip knot in one side you can't tighten or loosen it. It will create enough drag to hold the tiller in place but not enough to hamper your steering. For even more resistance wrap it once around the tiller. This will create a self centering tiller. A small bit of aluminium on the tiller in this area will keep the bungy from eating up the wood tiller.

Stumbled across this video today, and thought I’d share.
I don’t have any other info on the “tiller rest”

I would find a good spot, away from the shore, other boats, rocks, etc. and come to a stop while positioning the boat head to wind and then raise the sail.
I never had to secure the tiller while doing this, but if your boat has a strap then one can just secure the tiller with shock cord around the strap.

Back