Rudder makes contact with motor mount

WILD BILL

I am in the process of installing a factory motor mount (J15001) on a 1998 (serial number 4696) Catalina Capri 14.2 sailboat. I mocked up the installation by attaching the mount to the port side of the transum using a couple of C clamps. I have consulted the engineering department at Catalina, and they sent me an engineering drawing showing the mount should be placed on the port side, because of additional reinforcement in that area for this purpose. They show that the upper left mounting hole of the mount should be located 6 inches from the edge of the port side. I find that the rudder makes contact with the motor mount. Is this normal? Has anyone bought a boat with the mount already installed by the factory or the dealer? Or installed one of these mounts and finding this same problem?
Moving the mount to the left does not remedy the problem, because you then have an issue with the inside mounting hardware. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was hoping I would find out if the title of this post is normal? I didn't get any responses from Catalina
via emails or phone calls either. If someone knows the answer and could either give me a phone call or email, I would certainly appreciate the help. I'm holding up on installing this mount for a while until I find if this is a normal condition with the rudder hitting the mount. I guess I could glue a small rubber stop to the rudder to prevent damage to the contact area. I just don't want to drill four 5/16's inch holes in the transom, and then find out their was something I could have done different. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bill Evans
[email protected]
928-854 4848 Lake Havasu City, AZ

Hello Bill, .... My motor mount is installed on the Port side and I have no issues with the rudder fouling on it. Not sure what mount you're using, my boat is a 1992 mod 2 and I am using the factory mount.

It is however, mounted very close to the edge as possible with just enough clearance for the outer bolts to clear the hull on the inside for the nuts and washers. But here's the trick; the outer bracket is turned in, rather than out, which allows the mount to sit another inch or so to the port edge. Here is a photo of the aft end, unfortunately the view of the mount is a bit obstructed by my fancy hand rail. I hope this will be of some help.
Capri at rest.jpg

Hello Bill, .... My motor mount is installed on the Port side and I have no issues with the rudder fouling on it. Not sure what mount you're using, my boat is a 1992 mod 2 and I am using the factory mount.

It is however, mounted very close to the edge as possible with just enough clearance for the outer bolts to clear the hull on the inside for the nuts and washers. But here's the trick; the outer bracket is turned in, rather than out, which allows the mount to sit another inch or so to the port edge. Here is a photo of the aft end, unfortunately the view of the mount is a bit obstructed by my fancy hand rail. I hope this will be of some help.
View attachment 10794
Thanks for your reply. I spent a couple hours going through older post yesterday on this subject, and found that a couple other people had this problem. One person said they reversed both mounting brackets, turning them to the inside. I haven't mounted the bracket yet, so I did the same thing and this will work. Just holding the mount in the postion it would be mounted on the transom, it gives plenty of room to install the mount with no problem with the rudder making contact with the mount. Was your mount installed by the factory? Your suggestion makes good sense. With what I have, I would have to order one additional bracket to configure the mount the same way you did. The mount I have is a factory mount. With the mount located in the position recommended by the factory, I would have thought this would have been an obvious problem noted by the factory? Thanks again, nice picture of your boat.
Regards,
Bill

View attachment 10794
Hello George,
Just a follow up on my previous reply. I'm sitting here watching the Atlanta-Seattle NFL playoff game, with my mount and two half inch wrenches in hand. Trying to figure out all the combinations of bracket location to come up with the way you have it on your boat. My final conclusion is that I will need two right side brackets in order to have one bracket turning in on the left side and one bracket turned out on the right side. So will call Catalina tomorrow and see if they will let me order one additional right side bracket. By the way, I liked the picture of your boat so well, I put it on the desktop of my computer. Really a nice picture. Thanks again for your help..............Bill

Hi Bill,
Glad you were able to deduce some useful information out of my post. Your conclusion about the brackets make total sense, it never occurred to me. I bought the boat from the original owner, with the mount installed, he bought it from the dealer and specifically told me the mount was installed by them which makes it obvious that this is the way they resolved the problem as well.

Thanks for the compliments on my boat, I really love that little ship. Really looking forward to a great year of sailing and hopefully advancing my sailing skills ..... Unfortunately, I will have to be patient for at least another 4 months, here in Southern Ontario! :(

Hi Bill,
Glad you were able to deduce some useful information out of my post. Your conclusion about the brackets make total sense, it never occurred to me. I bought the boat from the original owner, with the mount installed, he bought it from the dealer and specifically told me the mount was installed by them which makes it obvious that this is the way they resolved the problem as well.

Thanks for the compliments on my boat, I really love that little ship. Really looking forward to a great year of sailing and hopefully advancing my sailing skills ..... Unfortunately, I will have to be patient for at least another 4 months, here in Southern Ontario! :(
Hello George,
One additional fact regarding factory motor mounts. After looking more closely at the mount on your boat, I noticed that the left and right brackets for the mount are identical. Apparently Catalina has changed the design over the years? On the factory mount that I have, the brackets are angled back 19 degrees according to the installation drawing I received from the Catalina folks. So today, I'll try and see if I can order one extra right side bracket. We will be having a large sailing event here in Lake Havasu next month in February. www.sailhavasu.com
Thanks,
Bill

I am in the process of installing a factory motor mount (J15001) on a 1998 (serial number 4696) Catalina Capri 14.2 sailboat. I mocked up the installation by attaching the mount to the port side of the transum using a couple of C clamps. I have consulted the engineering department at Catalina, and they sent me an engineering drawing showing the mount should be placed on the port side, because of additional reinforcement in that area for this purpose. They show that the upper left mounting hole of the mount should be located 6 inches from the edge of the port side. I find that the rudder makes contact with the motor mount. Is this normal? Has anyone bought a boat with the mount already installed by the factory or the dealer? Or installed one of these mounts and finding this same problem?
Moving the mount to the left does not remedy the problem, because you then have an issue with the inside mounting hardware. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bill, I am in the process of repairing damage to my rudder blade caused when my blade loosened up while leaving shore and was hit by the propeller of my little outboard. Not one of my finest moments for sure. There is probably going to be a GOOD posability of contact if not lifted up. My motor is aligned with the port seat and works well there. Most tiller boats have some type of problem like the aft stay restricting full movement, or hitting the engine. I always lift my engine while sailing which solves the problem of contacting the rudder blade. I plan on installing some brass shim stock to help repair the damage which might protect your rudder FROM getting damaged. Good luck with the project; Charley

Bill, I am in the process of repairing damage to my rudder blade caused when my blade loosened up while leaving shore and was hit by the propeller of my little outboard. Not one of my finest moments for sure. There is probably going to be a GOOD posability of contact if not lifted up. My motor is aligned with the port seat and works well there. Most tiller boats have some type of problem like the aft stay restricting full movement, or hitting the engine. I always lift my engine while sailing which solves the problem of contacting the rudder blade. I plan on installing some brass shim stock to help repair the damage which might protect your rudder FROM getting damaged. Good luck with the project; Charley
Hi Charley,
Thanks for the tip regarding contact between the rudder and prop. That would ruin your day for sure. I have been in touch with the Catalina factory in Florida and the person I have been talking to, is actually going down on the line where they are making Capri 14.2 sailboats at this time, and asking about factory motor mount and rudder contact issues. As it stands now, I am hopeful that I can order one additional right side mount bracket and install it on the left side of the mount. This would turn the mount inward and allow the mount to be moved further to the left and closer to the port side edge of the boat. Thanks..........Bill

We have the factory motor mount on the port side of our Expo and their is interference with the factory rudder.

We have the factory motor mount on the port side of our Expo and their is interference with the factory rudder.
Hi,
I am very surprised that Catalina has not addressed this problem at an earlier time. I have spoke to the engineering department in Woodland Hills, CA and they don't seem surprised. I also spoke to the people in Florida where these boat are manufactured, and again, it does not concern them. I have seen three other accounts of Capri owners who have also spoke of this same problem, and now yours is the forth. With the newer motor mount, if you use two right side brackets, this will enable you to position the mount further to the left or port side, and still have access for the hardware above the seat inside the boat. This works for the port side mounting, and I would guess it would work for the starboard side, if you used two left side brackets. In my case, what happens, is on the left side , the bracket is mounted inward, and on the right side, the bracket is mounted outward. This leaves more than enough room to install the mount and have clearance between the mount and the rudder. However, I might mention, Catalina, will only sell these brackets in pairs. The cost is 68.00 plus shipping. I was able to order one single right side bracket, from the manufactuer, in Upland,, CA for much less, and no shipping charge. Thanks for your reply. I have not mastered posting pictures, but if you or anyone else would like pictures, please email me at [email protected]
Happy sailing..............bill

Hi,
I am very surprised that Catalina has not addressed this problem at an earlier time. I have spoke to the engineering department in Woodland Hills, CA and they don't seem surprised. I also spoke to the people in Florida where these boat are manufactured, and again, it does not concern them. I have seen three other accounts of Capri owners who have also spoke of this same problem, and now yours is the forth. With the newer motor mount, if you use two right side brackets, this will enable you to position the mount further to the left or port side, and still have access for the hardware above the seat inside the boat. This works for the port side mounting, and I would guess it would work for the starboard side, if you used two left side brackets. In my case, what happens, is on the left side , the bracket is mounted inward, and on the right side, the bracket is mounted outward. This leaves more than enough room to install the mount and have clearance between the mount and the rudder. However, I might mention, Catalina, will only sell these brackets in pairs. The cost is 68.00 plus shipping. I was able to order one single right side bracket, from the manufactuer, in Upland,, CA for much less, and no shipping charge. Thanks for your reply. I have not mastered posting pictures, but if you or anyone else would like pictures, please email me at [email protected]
Happy sailing..............bill

Bill,
Can you give me info on the bracket manufacturer in Upland, CA? How do I contact them to order the two right brackets? What was the cost?
Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,
The company I bought the additional right side mount bracket from is located in Upland, CA
They also have a website www.garuauermarine.com and the address and phone number below.
Garhauer Marine
1082 West Ninth Ave.
Upland, CA 91786
(909) 985-9993
When you contact them, you might ask for someone in sales? Also, they may refer you to Catalina Direct, if so, tell them you have and they can't help you.
Be sure to explain to them carefully the part you are needing. When I spoke to them, they asked me to send a picture. At that time, I had the mount I had ordered from
Catalina Direct. I included a picture pointing out the part of the mount I needed. I paid 25.00 for the one (R) bracket and at that time I was not charged for shipping.
When I spoke to the parts department for Catalina in Florida, they will only sell the brackets in pairs for 68.00 plus shipping Hope this helps.........WB
right bracket.JPG

Hi Tim,
The company I bought the additional right side mount bracket from is located in Upland, CA
They also have a website www.garuauermarine.com and the address and phone number below.
Garhauer Marine
1082 West Ninth Ave.
Upland, CA 91786
(909) 985-9993
When you contact them, you might ask for someone in sales? Also, they may refer you to Catalina Direct, if so, tell them you have and they can't help you.
Be sure to explain to them carefully the part you are needing. When I spoke to them, they asked me to send a picture. At that time, I had the mount I had ordered from
Catalina Direct. I included a picture pointing out the part of the mount I needed. I paid 25.00 for the one (R) bracket and at that time I was not charged for shipping.
When I spoke to the parts department for Catalina in Florida, they will only sell the brackets in pairs for 68.00 plus shipping Hope this helps.........WBView attachment 12334

Thanks Bill. I guess I'll need to order the motor mount first from Catalina Direct, then try to buy an additional right bracket from Garhauer, right?

Tim,
That sounds about right, although, I was looking at my installation and the mount itself, is made of wood. If you are handy with woodworking, you could make your own mount, and then order two right side brackets from the folks in Upland, CA. You would have to provide the extra hardware for assembly, but you can get all the stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts from Lowes or Ace hardware. Just a thought. Catalina Direct charges about 100.00 plus bucks for the complete mount, and then tax and shipping on top of that. If you have access to someone else's mount, you could get the deminsions or I could measure mine if you decide to go that route? Good luck, and let me know if you need more info............WB

Tim,
That sounds about right, although, I was looking at my installation and the mount itself, is made of wood. If you are handy with woodworking, you could make your own mount, and then order two right side brackets from the folks in Upland, CA. You would have to provide the extra hardware for assembly, but you can get all the stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts from Lowes or Ace hardware. Just a thought. Catalina Direct charges about 100.00 plus bucks for the complete mount, and then tax and shipping on top of that. If you have access to someone else's mount, you could get the deminsions or I could measure mine if you decide to go that route? Good luck, and let me know if you need more info............WB

I could definitely make a wood mount myself with the proper dimensions. Yes, please measure. That would be great. Thanks Bill!

Tim,
I'll try to get on this today with measurements, but first before making the wood part of the mount, I would get a hold of Garhauer and make sure they will provide the brackets. By the was, if you would like to get back to me via email, [email protected] ............WB

thanks to Bill i have completed my installation. My local welding shop flipped to transom side part of the bracket towards the right giving the same effect as 2 right brackets. I followed your advice, Bill, with the chopping board from Walmart but used as whole. I have used my 15' inch shaft Lehr with it and did fine in the water. Bill, would the mount be strong enough to hold my less than 30 lb outboard for trailering home which is 3 hours drive?

Back