What's new

Wanted: Rudder Lock Handle for Capri 14.2

tw30189

State
GEORGIA
Hi, I have a 1984 Capri 14.2 I dropped the rudder lock handle in Saint Andrews Bay wile sailing in PCB this past weekend - continuing to slowly fill the oceans up with my boat parts.

I am looking for a handle please.

Thank you

aquaman

If you haven't found one yet maybe a small tool and die or welding shop could fabricate one? Bring in the assembly and they could have a look-see!

aquaman

Ooops I should have said "tiller tender". Has the spring loaded lever that locks the tiller in position on the guide line that's fastened to both sides of the transom. It's a must for the single hander!

aquaman

I forgot to re-read T's question! I think he might be referring to that springy prong that bolts to the metal rudder housing, when you push the rudder pins into place it snaps up against the pin housing as a retainer.......

Winston29

It sounds like you're talking about a Tiller Clutch or Tiller Tamer.

Those things really come in handy.

aquaman

Yep that's exactly what they call it. I've seen cheaper setups that could be used for this purpose but for an extra few bucks the Tiller Tamer is a precision instrument. It allows for quick minor adjustments to the helm to get it perfect before you let go to handle the sails or whatever else. Just be sure to have the runner line taut or it can inadvertently wrap around the trigger, locking the helm in whatever position. That can put you in a world of hurt, especially on windy days!

Winston29

I thought about getting the Tiller Tamer, but went with the Tiller Clutch instead. I like the one-handed, quick locking / unlocking design.
The T-Tamer looked like it would be difficult to work single-handed.

Pricey little piece of equipment, though. Not the most expensive addition to my boat (that would be the sails), but it's up there.

aquaman

Hopefully my pic of the tiller clutch came through. It's a work in progress trying to get the hang of doing attachments. I've got a wealth of knowledge accumulated through my last 3 years of Capri ownership to share, and this site is what helped me get off the ground!