Rudder lifespan

1962, a mahogany rudder is added to a fresh Sunfish.... over the years its dragged in the rocks, dried out, varnished, cracked & repaired and soldiered on for longer than I've been alive !

Until last Saturday... Ben had the new sail up in 27 Km/h breeze and big, rolling waves on the head pond. On a quick tack to impress his friend, after snapping the centreboard trunck on our other boat earlier in the day, the tiller went over but the rudder stayed put !

Sunfishrudderfinallydies.jpg

This bit of kit clearly had seen some abuse, held together with screws, glue & a certainly a dash of blind faith...

Sunfishrudderinside.jpg

So, the hunt for a bit of mahogany of the right thickness & width took a few days. With the help of Andrew (Certa Pro Painters) I had a blank cut out in an hour. Some sanding & a few coats of West 105, this baby is ready for some varnish & the race on Sunday !

Sunfishrudder-newbuild.jpg

Certa Pro Painters

Eaglewood

Nicely done!

People have complained about the scarcity and high price of certain kinds of mahogany. But this approach is quite reasonable from a cost viewpoint and the result looks great. I hope it will last another 40+ years...

Back