Rudder leading edge repair help??

Ticktack

I recently purchased a 2001 vanguard Sunfish.
the rudder has some abrasion damage from pulling boat up on dock. I would like to repair
back to original shape & size but would like the repair to not be very noticeable if possible.
I was hoping for some ideas & suggestions from the gurus on this site, any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• DDE572B0-892D-490B-9B48-C543C3DCFC02.jpeg
    DDE572B0-892D-490B-9B48-C543C3DCFC02.jpeg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 40
honestly, you could probably just sand it all down, make the leading edge smooth again, and polyurethane it and be done.

but if you want to "re-build" the edge up, I used West System epoxy and they have various fillers (I used 404 and 407) that thicken the epoxy and add some structure/strength as well. I also mixed in some sawdust I saved from the sanding part to help keep the color between the wood and the repair similar.
1618367348787.png

small section filled in and sanded smooth:

1618367371956.png

I went into more detail here:

You're gonna have to sand it anyway, start with that and see how much of the problem you eliminate... you can always build the leading edge back up with multiple layers of varnish, close enough to original specs for it to make no real difference. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for y’all’s input,
I really appreciate it!
Just curious, what’s the latest thoughts about which finish is better, Captains Varnish or Polyurethane?
Thanks again!!

I was always partial to products with polyurethane (anything with urethane, since I'm an old skateboarder, lol), but any varnish will offer protection and help rebuild those outer layers where the wood was abraded. I'd just sand that rudder smooth and get it varnished for maximum protection. Once you get a few layers on there, nobody will ever know about the former damage, and the rudder should be approximately the same size as before. Just my $.02, I've refinished a number of rudders in my time, wooden daggerboards too... a little sanding and a few coats of varnish should solve the problem. :rolleyes:

If you have a belt sander, its flat platen will help keep a straight line while truing the leading edge. Fast removal of material is another advantage.

Back