Rudder in retracted position

Serpant

Why does the rudder have to wave about in the fresh air when in the retracted position. I put a stop on mine in about the horizontal position. This did two things, 1 It gives me some rudder to help me get off a beach or out of shallow water. 2 it takes less force to push the tiller and move the rudder to the full down position. Has anybody else tried this ?

Serpent - If you have a wood rudder, I would not be pulling the blade up by the tiller handle. If it snaps up it will split the wood rudder which is a common repair. I manually raise and lower the blade with my hand when leaving a beach and coming in.

A rudder (at rest) should be allowed to swing with the breeze, which has little effect. Allowing wave action would wear the fittings, including the tiller, and can contribute to "deck rash".

The springs should be permitted to contract fully: stretched, over time, they tend to weaken. Used temporarily while launching or recovery, no harm is done. :)

Serpent - If you have a wood rudder, I would not be pulling the blade up by the tiller handle. If it snaps up it will split the wood rudder which is a common repair. I manually raise and lower the blade with my hand when leaving a beach and coming in.
[/QUOTEo
A rudder (at rest) should be allowed to swing with the breeze, which has little effect. Allowing wave action would wear the fittings, including the tiller, and can contribute to "deck rash".

The springs should be permitted to contract fully: stretched, over time, they tend to weaken. Used temporarily while launching or recovery, no harm is done. :)
I think the wave action punishment would be the same whither the rudder blade be up, down or in between.
The spring will still travel thru it’s normal range during every up/down cycle.The spring is never fully retracted after it’s installation

Back