Rudder hardward dimensions/pictures?

NeilC

Hi, I'm currently restoring a sunfish which has a new style rudder (1975) but no hardware. To minimise cost I'd like to make the hardware and was wondering if anyone has a dimensioned drawing? Thanks for your help
NeilC

I don't know how you expect to do this. Either you've got a foundry at your disposal, or you can weld stainless steel. It would be much easier just to purchase one, wouldn't it?

Al Courtines

Neil,
I agree with Al on this one. Purchase the parts, you and your Sunfish will be better for it. Constructing you own assembly is fine, but I doubt very much Vanguard would part with a demension drawing. The bracket mounted on the transome may appear to be a simple piece of stainless channel with two notched holes in it. The problem is being able to machine stainless steel to shape the bracket. The Rudder cheeck is a cast piece either aluminum (older) or plastic (current). There were problems along the way with the plastic cracking which has now been solved. Unless you are a pattern maker/machinist and have access to a machine shop and foundry, the effort is not worth it. Plus, if you are interested in racing, the parts would not be legal.

Hi Neil,
I have all the hardware at 50% off the new price
If interested I'll give you a quote. Obviously the materials are used, but in excellent shape. :)

Neil,
Between parts & labor making your own, you might as well get a brand new fish and still come out ahead. Good luck.

Thanks to all that have responded so far. My aim was to rennovate this boat at minimal cost. I believe I can fabricate the rudder hardware to provide the required functionality using Aluminium plate, block and rivets. It may not look the same but would work. I'm not concerned about it passing class rules - this will be a recreational boat only. I was looking for basic dimensions of the existing hardware for a start on this. We have a 470 whose rudder hardware is similarly constructed so the principle should translate to the Sunfish. Anyway, thanks for your comments and feedback.
Regards,
NeilC

snfish60 said:
Hi Neil,
I have all the hardware at 50% off the new price
If interested I'll give you a quote. Obviously the materials are used, but in excellent shape. :)

Herb - thanks for the offer - please let me know which parts you have and what you're looking for
Regards,
NeilC

Back