Rudder Gudgeon

eelmgren

I just bought an old Sunfish (sn 43xxx). The gudgeon looks like it's missing parts. I haven't been able to find any good pictures or drawings showing what it should look like. Has anyone got photos or drawings of the assembly?

What am I missing and where can I find it?

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 117
You need a latch plate. It is attached to the hull and keeps the rudder in place (although it tends to pop up in a heavy wind). I have attached a picture of the latch plate and some of the other parts for the old style rudder. I have also attached a diagram and mounting instructions for the "old style" rudder.

Unfortunately, I sold all of this hardware last summer. However, you might want to contact these people as they often have spare Sunfish parts for the pre-1972 models:

Herb Baker [email protected]
Alan Glos [email protected]

You can purchase a 5" carriage bolt with wing nut (vertical pin) and a horizontal hinge pin/rudder pin (cotterless hitch pin) from Lowes or Home Depot for less than $10.

You can also find a wealth of information on the Sunfish at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor

Keith Judson
Reno, NV

Attachments

• Sunfish Parts  Standard e-mail view copy.jpg
    Sunfish Parts Standard e-mail view copy.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Old Style Rudder Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Old Style Rudder Standard e-mail view.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Old Style Rudder Mounting Instructions Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Old Style Rudder Mounting Instructions Standard e-mail view.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 124
I have a bunch of those old rudder parts available for n/c--E mail me in Late May or June with you list of needs.

Here are some pics, ......I've tossed these up here before, sorry for repeating.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 90
Thanks to all. I've got drawings photos and the parts I needed. All I need now is sunshine and a little wind.:)

Just call me Johnny come lately...
I have just aquired an old (1969) sunfush. This thread has been must helpful. both in determining what I need and telling me what to call the various pieces. My Deck plate is damaged, the gudgeon bolt is broken, and the spring plate is missing. Otherwise, I have a complete rudder and tiller assembly...

Back