Rudder downhaul tie-down question

NHnewbie

Hi,
I bought an older laser last year, and it has a rudder tie-down fixture that is different than what I see in pictures online. I"m including photos. I currently hold the rudder down by a knot fastened in the rope, and slipped under this fixture. It's come off once while sailing, and I don't want that to happen again. Can anyone suggest the best way to secure the rudder with this fixture?

tiller.jpg
tiller with rudder.jpg

Thanks

Several options here.

1. Just tie the downhaul rope to the plastic hook with two half-hitches. Can be hard to untie though.
2. Get a longer rope, tie a small bowline to it some 5-10 cm from the hook towards the rudder head (when the rudder is all the way down), loop the tail of the rope around the hook and tie it to the bowline with two half-hitches. This makes the downhaul a 3:1, you can pull it tighter and there's still less tension on the knot.
A variation of this would be to keep the old rope but move the hook approximately halfway between the rudder head and the traveller, and keep the downhaul tied, making the rudder essentially fixed. This is actually what most top sailors do. You'd lose the kick-up function though.
3. Change the hook to a side-entry Clamcleat. This is what I have and recommend, especially for recreational sailing.
4. Get a new tiller... it looks like your (unprotected) tiller and traveller are killing one another anyway. Then rig any downhaul system you want.

Last edited:
Thank you, LaLi.

I think I'll change to the side entry clam cleat, as I like the kick-up rudder feature and I am definitely a recreational sailor. I appreciate your help!

Back