rudder bushings

In a pinch a flat section of a plastic milk bottle woks fine. The real bushings are nylon and may last longer than the milk bottle. They sell them in batches of 10 to jack up the retail price.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thread starter #4
everyone seems to be out of stock, I checked at the hardware store and didn't see any good substitutes. I guess I will do the milk bottle trick. How thick is the real nylon bushing? maybe I can find sheet nylon that would last longer than the milk bottle.

L&VW

In a pinch a flat section of a plastic milk bottle works fine. The real bushings are nylon and may last longer than the milk bottle. They sell them in batches of 10 to jack up the retail price. Alan Glos Cazenovia, NY
I used two on one side, and one on the other to get the "right" tension. They're pretty durable, and probably still at work on my long-sold Porpoise II. :)

Yesterday, I pulled on the tiller extension in an effort to raise the rudder. (Raising by hand would have made for chilly wading).

With a small piece of ash from the tiller, the extension pulled out from the tiller, and I went for a tumble. :confused: (My second tumble into six inches of lake water in a week!) :oops:

I have a spare, but it's another day—another lesson—and another repair. :rolleyes:

L&VW

Sounds familiar L&VW...!
Yeah, but you didn't get soaked! ;)

In a pinch a flat section of a plastic milk bottle woks fine. The real bushings are nylon and may last longer than the milk bottle. They sell them in batches of 10 to jack up the retail price. Alan Glos Cazenovia, NY
Yup.

I had to buy a package of five star-shaped brass-threaded adjusting handles for those rubber 1¼" automotive freeze-plugs. If anyone wants the one or two handles I'll have left over, I'll ask $3 for each—pp.

While they do look like they'll fit, I do need to check first! :confused: