Rudder Attachments Pintle vs Pin

MorrisCode

Hello,

I have the older style pintle attachment for my rudder. The attachment are in fantastic condition as is the rest of the boat. I've been sourcing the parts to do the rudder strap/gudgeon/pin update. Reading the class rules it says that 2 upper and lower gudgeons are required? Does this mean the old pintle system is no longer permitted for in class racing? I only ask because I plan to do the upgrade in Fall 2021 so I don't miss the sailing season with this new (to me) J24. If the old system is in fact no longer permitted then I won't bother entering class races until the following season.

I suggest that you not let that deter you from racing. If the rules say that it should be such and such, then unfortunately yes, the old style is (officially) no longer permitted. But I can tell you that for most regattas, nobody is going to measure or examine your boat, and it's rare that you will be asked to submit a measurement certificate. In the US it will likely only be national, mid-winter, and world championship regattas. I'm not suggesting that you should stretch the rules willy-nilly. But let's be realistic... The class needs participants. The main things that will be scrutinized, in the rare case that it occurs, are things that may affect sailing performance. Weights, sail dimensions, keel placement and dimensions, headstay length. Things like that. Even at the worlds I suspect that they would let you race with the old style pintles.

I've seen that those parts have gotten quite expensive. For what it's worth, a 1/2 in. bolt is the same size as the pin.

Hi...
I put some effort into providing a response that I thought might be helpful to you. If you think there's any benefit to this sort of thing, I think you should give some sort of response. That way it's an exchange. Otherwise people (me included) may not bother in the future. I mean...think of my perspective. Why should I do this?

I would note that there isn't much weighing-in by people with actual experience in the class here.

Just sayin' (as they say).
-V

Hi VinceH,

I read your response. Thank you for that. I plan on doing exactly what you recommended. If I'm ever in a situation where I make a national event etc. I'll make the change at that time.

I plan on collecting the parts through the classifieds piece by piece as they seem cheaper that way.

Thanks for your response. Good luck with it all. All the parts and components have gotten quite expensive it seems to me. At the same time the value of a complete boat has dropped by 1/2 to 2/3, so things are out-of-kilter.

I don't know what I paid for the rudder hardware when I bought it all in 1996 (ok; it's been a while), but I'm thinking about 1/3 of the $840 it adds up to on Schaeffer's web page.

No problem,

I got a pretty good deal on my boat. With the exception of the leak I'm investigating that you replied too (that I'm not even sure is a problem yet) the boat is amazing!!!

I figured a 40 year old boat might need a little TLC. I'm up to the challenge.

Back