Rudder angle change

Alan S. Glos

It looks like the Sunfish Class (subject to approval by World Sailing) will approve a change in the class specs to allow the rudder blade to be more vertical. I think this is good change. I hear that this change will improve control in heavier air, especially downwind. It also looks like an easy retrofit. Questions: Is there a performance downside to this change in different wind strengths? Will new boats from the factory come with this new configuration? In addition to changing the rudder head pivot hole, will you also have to change the position of the hole where the tiller straps attach to the rudder head? Will there be any problems drilling new holes in a plastic rudder blade? Comments?

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I wouldn’t go drilling holes or buying a digital compass yet. World Sailing hasn’t approved the changes. From what I heard from someone who met with some members of the class who were at the worlds where this vote took place, the rudder change hadn’t been very well tested. I know that is second hand news, but if true I wonder if World Sailing wants more testing, given the changes will not be in effect for the foreseeable future? Here is what I got from the ISCA President today:

Dear Beldar B.,

At the last World Council meeting, several rule changes were presented and approved. Please be aware, however, that while these changes have been approved by the ISCA World Council, they WILL NOT GO INTO EFFECT until they are approved by World Sailing. World Sailing has yet to approve these rule changes and this process could take as long as 2 years.

Importantly, this means that these Council-approved changes, including the vertically aligned rudder, are NOT in effect for the upcoming Midwinter Championship or any other Sunfish regatta for the foreseeable future.

The class will continue to update the membership on the status of these rule changes. These changes can be found in the minutes of the Advisory Council meeting which are posted HERE.

Fair winds,

Rich Chapman
ISCA President

Last edited:

Back