Class Politics Rubrail class legal?

Merrily

Administrator
I have glued rubrail all the way around the edge of my gunwale because I kept chipping the gelcoat there with hard/bad landings at the dock as a new sailor. I'm getting a little better at landing, but have rubrail permanently glued with 5200. In no way can rubrail improve my sailing or make my boat faster. Is it class legal?

Janet/Merrily

Technically? Since the rules don not say you can add a rubrail, your rubrailed laser is no longer a Laser.

realistically? If somebody wants to put 15 pounds all around the perimeter of a laser..I wil do my best to talk that person out of it but I sure won't be the individual responsible for sending that person away from a race.

maintenance wise?? The chips and dings are not that hard to fill. They do not happen all that often and if you are really digging up the sides of the boat that much there are other things about your sailing style that I would want to help you change.

Rubber bumpers are not the answer for any fine toy. At some point in life it is nice to actualy eat off the fine china with the nice silverware. Rubber coating that silverware and china might protect it...but....where is the pleasure in that??

gouvernail said:
Rubber bumpers are not the answer for any fine toy. At some point in life it is nice to actualy eat off the fine china with the nice silverware. Rubber coating that silverware and china might protect it...but....where is the pleasure in that??

Well spoken, gouvernail!

Back