Rub Rail help

karmaf16

Lake Ontario
I heard; it's not legal. That's ok. I am trying to protect my deck from our launch ramp / holding area. We have concrete walls and they are very unforgiving.

I've seen the $122 vinyl rubrail at APS but that's ridiculous. I found FJ rubrail at Landfall Navigation for $2.52 (32 ft). I am trying to contact them to see if this is legit and if it would work on the Laser. Meanwhile, I am looking for backup ideas. I'd like to take it up a step from just wrapping her with a garden hose. What have others used that's worked nicely?

I heard; it's not legal. That's ok. I am trying to protect my deck from our launch ramp / holding area. We have concrete walls and they are very unforgiving.

It's not necessarily illegal. I tried to find out about 5 years ago and couldn't get an answer. It's certainly not something that's going to help you in a race, on the contrary, it's likely to slow you down. I shelled out the big bucks at APS. Read the first post in this thread:
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=3411&highlight=rub+rail+Masters+Midwinters

I've seen the $122 vinyl rubrail at APS but that's ridiculous. I found FJ rubrail at Landfall Navigation for $2.52 (32 ft). I am trying to contact them to see if this is legit and if it would work on the Laser. Meanwhile, I am looking for backup ideas. I'd like to take it up a step from just wrapping her with a garden hose. What have others used that's worked nicely?

Maybe figure out a way to use some bumpers like the ones you use on a keel boat at the dock. That way they're not fixed on your boat, maybe one off the mast, one off the travler and one off the bow eye?

Maybe figure out a way to use some bumpers like the ones you use on a keel boat at the dock. That way they're not fixed on your boat, maybe one off the mast, one off the travler and one off the bow eye?

They do make little fenders. Awww--so cute!

Thanks for the words so far. We have a launch ramp with concrete walls on both sides, wedged between 36' sailboats. There is also room for tying one laser off on an adjoining retaining wall. I don't want to deal with fenders and storage of them on a Laser while sailing so that option is out. Other thing to do is cover the concrete walls with 2x wood then put fenders / cushions over that. Lots of work, but a viable alternative. Water level drops 3 feet or more by the end of the sailing season.

hard to visualise how tight the launching ramp is without pics - but maybe if you used a launching dolly with an external 'bull bar style frame' and quick attach straps and then padded this somehow so the boat could still float but not swing into the walls??

Thinking of the sort of 360 degree nudge frames you see on some 4WD vehicles at safari parks etc. Could extend outside the dolly and around the boat.

Back