Rowing a Fish?

rdemuro

Does anyone know of, or seen, a simple no clamp-on rowing device that is used for oars in outboard oarlocks on a Fish?- trying to locate--there are patent ones that use metal braces to set into well and others that clamp on.....thanks

Just out of curiosity, it they are not clamped or bolted to the boat, how would they stay in place? Super strong bungee cords? Lots and lots of Velcro?

Just out of curiosity, it they are not clamped or bolted to the boat, how would they stay in place? Super strong bungee cords? Lots and lots of Velcro?

thanks for the response-- not sure of design -- wonder if they are on the market anywhere in CA or FL and if people would be/are purchasing them.....tnx RD

Does anyone know of, or seen, a simple no clamp-on rowing device that is used for oars in outboard oarlocks on a Fish?- trying to locate--there are patent ones that use metal braces to set into well and others that clamp on.....thanks
At a yardsale I bought an interesting clamp-on rowing device. ($1). It could be used on a rowboat or kayak.

After researching the patent number, I found I'd bought an 1888 reverse-rowing device . The device converts your rowing energy so you can row facing forwards! :cool:Alas, I'd bought only the left side! :(

The reverse-rowing kit is still available, but nearly $1,000... :eek:

There is an example of a Fish rowing setup in the Sunfish Bible. I could probably scan the page if you don’t have the book.

Reactions: tag
At a yardsale I bought an interesting clamp-on rowing device. ($1). It could be used on a rowboat or kayak.

After researching the patent number, I found I'd bought an 1888 reverse-rowing device . The device converts your rowing energy so you can row facing forwards! :cool:Alas, I'd bought only the left side! :(

The reverse-rowing kit is still available, but nearly $1,000... :eek:
thanks- could you describe?

I don't have the book- would appreciate the scan---thanks!

Ok here you go.
16121507513728579725250794669015.jpg
16121507513728579725250794669015.jpg

Last edited:
For cellphone users, press on the upper page, select the square icon (center--with the arrow), and enlarge normally to read. Exit using the X icon.

The most efficient rowing is with 8+foot oars, and oarlock mounts that are extended between one to two feet from the hull. Google "canoe rowing images".

The skeg mentioned above will be very helpful to keep the hull going in a straight line. One moment, you turn your head to see where you're going, and the boat turns sideways! :confused:

Reverse rowing kit...

Regular rowing kit, about $245.

1612224541709.png

Probably build one with two oarlocks and a 2x4. :rolleyes:

thanks for this, appreciate it.....what year was this?...or about?.....tnx
The Sunfish Bible is a compilation of articles from the 70s-90s. It’s a great source for rigging and racing, but it covers other stuff as well. It’s still available from the class association. I forget when I got mine, as it was some time ago.
But if I was going to buy a book on the Sunfish, I would buy the Sunfish Owners Manual first. In fact I plan on ordering one in a couple of weeks. Some of the people in this forum are quite familiar with it ;)

before you go thru all of the effort of building a rowing rig, you might want to try a long kayak paddle. I haven’t used one much with my Sunfish yet, but it’s great with my Minifish and Sailfish.
Or you might want to try one of those SUP paddles. Even I can stand in a Sunfish without falling overboard. I doubt that would be the case with an SUP board!

Reactions: tag
before you go thru all of the effort of building a rowing rig, you might want to try a long kayak paddle. I haven’t used one much with my Sunfish yet, but it’s great with my Minifish and Sailfish.
Or you might want to try one of those SUP paddles. Even I can stand in a Sunfish without falling overboard. I doubt that would be the case with an SUP board!
thanks for that

The Sunfish Bible is a compilation of articles from the 70s-90s. It’s a great source for rigging and racing, but it covers other stuff as well. It’s still available from the class association. I forget when I got mine, as it was some time ago.
But if I was going to buy a book on the Sunfish, I would buy the Sunfish Owners Manual first. In fact I plan on ordering one in a couple of weeks. Some of the people in this forum are quite familiar with it ;)
thanks again...

Back