Rounding the leeward mark?

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Assume one has to jibe prior to the next upwind leg, about 10 knots of wind and a bunch of other boats nearby.
What's the best time to lower the daggerboard? About a boat length away from the mark, or earlier? There's so much to do and I have only two hands...

Before you do anything else related to the rounding. First thing. Exact spot depends on many factors, such as whether you want to pre-adjust the control systems, how big the crowd is, how much room you need for the gybe, etc. One boatlength sounds very close.

_

I try to tighten the vang after rounding (so I won't cut my head off during the jibe) and am truly going to windward. In other words, it's probably the last thing I do after sheeting in.
Is that right?

I think it depends on the conditions. If you're in light to medium breeze and flat water, having the board down slightly early probably will not affect your gybe as heavily. Conversely, if you're in choppy, heavy wind, you are more likely to "trip" or stall the board/rudder on your gybe, so it may be best to leave the board up partially for speed, stability and general control.

I think that chop/swell conditions are also a factor that must be considered, but overall I agree with Lali. The board and mainsheet are the two most important controls/tools you have on pretty much any sailboat, so it is best to make sure their settings are correct before attempting a busy leeward mark rounding. Also, I would rather have my board too far down than too far up.

Just my 2 cents and I am sure someone more skilled than I will have better, more formulaic, advice on this.

The scenario was 10 knots, so capsize prevention is no major factor.
As the vang goes, I like to tighten it a bit before rounding (maybe so that the boom is 90° to the mast) so there's less to pull after you've rounded. (Of course, having less purchase would help with this though.)
Once upwind, my adjusting order is sheet-vang-cunningham-outhaul. I don't know if that's "right", or just a routine that I'm used to.

_

Last edited:
What I've found works for me is lowering the board first, before it gets too crowded at the mark, then snug up some vang (I have a reference point that I use, about the same amount as I use on the starting line), then get my outhaul on (gross tune, then adjust once I turn upwind). I found this helps me as it gives me only the mainsheet to handle around the mark. I do the board first, then the controls are done pretty close to the mark. Once I'm around and trimmed in, I'll pull on what vang I want, then adjust the controls as necessary.

For me it is :(

More in general, thanks for All the comments; it will be 'educational' (and fun) to try the various options that have been suggested.

As the vang goes, I like to tighten it a bit before rounding (maybe so that the boom is 90° to the mast) so there's less to pull after you've rounded. (Of course, having less purchase would help with this though.)
Once upwind, my adjusting order is sheet-vang-cunningham-outhaul. I don't know if that's "right", or just a routine that I'm used to.

_

Right, the scenario is 10 knots, and I am not talking about capsizing, I am talking about blade stall/unnecessary helm drag in general. Having a bit of board up can help reduce or prevent unwanted drag and general boat balance. My point is that it is a judgment call based on the situation, conditions and your skill level. None of us want to admit that we have dumped it in 10 knots (or even lower) but I am sure almost all of us have.

What I've found works for me is lowering the board first, before it gets too crowded at the mark, then snug up some vang (I have a reference point that I use, about the same amount as I use on the starting line), then get my outhaul on (gross tune, then adjust once I turn upwind). I found this helps me as it gives me only the mainsheet to handle around the mark. I do the board first, then the controls are done pretty close to the mark. Once I'm around and trimmed in, I'll pull on what vang I want, then adjust the controls as necessary.
What's up KB!?! I pretty much follow the same sequence. The more crowded it is the further back I start getting things in order. After a clean rounding I'll clean it all up w/fine adjustments starting with the vang. At 200lbs, in 10 knots, when I'm ready to jibe I'll lean in for some leeward heel and trim the main in to about a broad reach then roll into the jibe to help the mainsheet flop across the transom without getting hooked on a corner.

Back