Rotting rudder

Sailikethawind

I just picked up a 1974 Sunfish and the rudder still works but it’s rotting in the picture.I was wondering if I could just fill in the hole with either wood glue or fiberglass epoxy and just sand it down? Like I said it still works but there were a couple of rotting pieces that came out. I’m very new to sailing but I love it! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 9EEEA499-7FF7-4E45-BEF3-9A8C1A6A0F97.jpeg
    9EEEA499-7FF7-4E45-BEF3-9A8C1A6A0F97.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 64A7D628-8F5D-440F-8682-5C2753961155.jpeg
    64A7D628-8F5D-440F-8682-5C2753961155.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 77147F33-DDDC-4EA1-9122-E52B36F798F1.jpeg
    77147F33-DDDC-4EA1-9122-E52B36F798F1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
I would either replace it or start practicing your rudderless sailing drills. (Can you even do that on a sunfish? I have never tried)

I think its next to impossible and find even in larger cruising boats, a difficult task as EVERTHING else almost has to remain constsnt.

Ill sit back with my popcorn and hear the opposing viewpoints.

cut that section off. use a 2 part marine grade epoxy if you can get it and glue another "blank" block back on. titebond 3 should work from the big box too. i wouldnt go softer with the wood. maple, oak (red white whatever) sketch out the shape and shape down with whatever you can find (cheap belt sander should work) and final hand sand. slap some finish on it. put cheeks back on. go have fun until you get the skates out!

There can be a lot of stress in that area.

First step take everything off of it and look closer maybe post some better pictures.

If you have lots of rotten wood then thick epoxy will only stick to the surface of the wood. That surface wood may not be well adhered to the next layer of wood. You would have to work hard at scraping the wood until it felt like solid wood. Then you could drill some long holes and run some stainless screws as pins, not screw them in, epoxy them in place. That would give you some for-aft strength. Then fill in everything good with epoxy.

After you spent $40 in glue (or more) it might work or it might break when you get the 15 knot gust.

I would try to find a better one. There are points of diminishing returns on repairs of these things.

Yes, clean out the really bad, use thickened epoxy, sand fair.

I would use the old blade as a template and make new using appropriate wood. Simple here as there are several hardwood and tropical wood sources nearby. It will take about the same time, same ballpark cost.

Yes, clean out the really bad, use thickened epoxy, sand fair.

I would use the old blade as a template and make new using appropriate wood. Simple here as there are several hardwood and tropical wood sources nearby. It will take about the same time, same ballpark cost.
That's dependent on someone having a shop and a way to haul a piece of lumber.. you could potentially have it s4s but at that point might as well take the "drawing " that's floating around the web to a local shop and have it cncd. If you want to be hands on, do the shaping yourself. I have an mdf template I cncd then use a collar and flush cutter on the shaper..I have both the dagger and rudder for my laser and sunfish templated... I'm still waiting on my cf blades for my laser though. Friends......eye roll

Back