Class Politics Ross for NA VP

Last I saw of Eric, he was still spry and really not old at all. You make it sound like he has a foot in the grave. I think that Ross and a whole lot of others have plenty of ideas to give. Unfortunately I think that nobody will even listen.

We need to come up with ideas on how to get new people into Lasers and how we can build our local club fleets up. I think that boating in general has been down for the past decade and if we can all make it easier for people to obtain cheap lasers we can get more ppl out. I know that kids are into rock concerts, maybe we can figure out how to have a big rock concert regatta...

I think that Ross and a whole lot of others have plenty of ideas to give. Unfortunately I think that nobody will even listen.

I'd like to turn that around slightly:

I think that Ross and a whole lot of others have plenty of ideas to give. Unfortunately I think that they don't understand enough about the dynamics of large organizations to present them so anybody will even listen.

The good news it that diplomacy and persuasion are skills that can be learned.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Don't listen to them Ross, it's a trick to make you stop and think. :eek:

Avoid thought at all costs. Only getting elected matters. Total committment.

Consider the current candidates for the US Presidency. Is there any proof that they stopped to think?

Exactly.

Ask not what your class can do for you, but what you can do for Ross.

Elect Ross now.

first>>

a. Name one way Ross could make things worse!
b. Name one way he might make things better.

b. Ross could revolutionize Laser sailing in North America. He would inspire a whole new generation of sailors with his enthusiasm and wacky ideas. He would make sure the class published a kick-ass newsletter with information about the growing number of Laser fleets on the continent and a schedule of all the fun new regattas being run. There would be articles about regattas and tips on sailing bursting with humor and energy. The class would sell all sorts of hats and sweatshirts and crazy bumper stickers that people would be proud to wear on their heads, torsos and cars to demonstrate their commitment to this cool phenomenon called the Laser class. There would be an anarchical disrepectful class website that would be full of useful and entertaining information that would attract newcomers to the class. Ross would show up at all the major regattas across the continent and sign up new members of the class by the gazillion. Every year the class would grow in numbers and life would be good.

a. The old farts would look at what Ross had done and start whinging. They would say that Ross was out of control. They would say that he can't add up. A group of gray corporate types would oust Ross from his positon in the class leadership and put in his place a committee of accountants and MBAs who would care more about FASB rules and non-profit status then whether the class was growing or organizing great regattas in cool locations. There would be meetings and minutes and conference calls and "accountability" and "visibility" and it would all be incredibly boring. Every year the class would shrink and life would be bad and it would all be Ross's fault.

b. Ross could revolutionize Laser sailing in North America. He would inspire a whole new generation of sailors with his enthusiasm and wacky ideas. He would make sure the class published a kick-ass newsletter with information about the growing number of Laser fleets on the continent and a schedule of all the fun new regattas being run. There would be articles about regattas and tips on sailing bursting with humor and energy. The class would sell all sorts of hats and sweatshirts and crazy bumper stickers that people would be proud to wear on their heads, torsos and cars to demonstrate their commitment to this cool phenomenon called the Laser class. There would be an anarchical disrepectful class website that would be full of useful and entertaining information that would attract newcomers to the class. Ross would show up at all the major regattas across the continent and sign up new members of the class by the gazillion. Every year the class would grow in numbers and life would be good.

a. The old farts would look at what Ross had done and start whinging. They would say that Ross was out of control. They would say that he can't add up. A group of gray corporate types would oust Ross from his positon in the class leadership and put in his place a committee of accountants and MBAs who would care more about FASB rules and non-profit status then whether the class was growing or organizing great regattas in cool locations. There would be meetings and minutes and conference calls and "accountability" and "visibility" and it would all be incredibly boring. Every year the class would shrink and life would be bad and it would all be Ross's fault.

Just when I thought the spirit of Laserbabee had left us...

The only difference? I know EXACTLY who wrote all the Laserbabee posts on the old Laser list and OLD Geezer is NOT the author of those posts.

Ross could do all of the things mentioned in #1 above but he would need somewone with Eric's talents to generate those newsletters.

Note: Eric does not yet have one foot in the grave but he is well past his days of sitting in the truck on a cold wet day with the AC running full blast so it will not seem so cold when he rigs up and goes sailing in 40 degreee weather.
Eric has become a short haired, practical, politically correct, MBA totin', home owner, gray haired, saving for retirement old fart.

Some people are needed for sage advice. Others are needed for enthusiasm and idealistic goals and the energy to strive for those goals.

ROSS FOR VP!!!

what about 'member at large" does the board vote on that position as well? if I had that position, at least I could annoy and plague them with my opinions and ideas

Note: Eric does not yet have one foot in the grave but he is well past his days of sitting in the truck on a cold wet day with the AC running full blast so it will not seem so cold when he rigs up and goes sailing in 40 degreee weather.
Eric has become a short haired, practical, politically correct, MBA totin', home owner, gray haired, saving for retirement old fart.

Some people are needed for sage advice. Others are needed for enthusiasm and idealistic goals and the energy to strive for those goals.

ROSS FOR VP!!!

I believe this is the meaning of the saying:

"Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach."

When men get old and can't do the business anymore they should teach and mentor.

Maybe you could form a syndicate, Ross? Eric sounds like a good mentor and experienced mind. All you need is a backer (plenty of cash) and you be the front man.

If not Ross, who?

If not now, when?

if someone wants to be my #2, I'm in

Sounds like a great campaign slogan, but I think better of you than to be mentioning #2 in the same breath as yourself. Ross, I think you should run for prom king. That would take a little more effort than this campaign.

I'm in college, so I can't really do prom anymore

or this older and more responsible guy could be my #1, and I could give him my ideas and stuff, I dunno

I'm in college, so I can't really do prom anymore

or this older and more responsible guy could be my #1, and I could give him my ideas and stuff, I dunno

We don't want "older". We don't want "more responsible". We want Ross. We want Ross. We want Ross.

Back