Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path

It has been considered, but only for heavy heavy air. I personally don't like getting beaten by 110 pound girls. A radial would not help me at big events, as its usually only for girls, like I could not have sailed it at the Olympic part of Kiel, plus as a male, I could not sail a Radial at the Olympics. I will stick with my Full rig, but if I see that it might be blowing 25+ at an event, I will probably take a radial with me, and see what happens

Nuh-uh. If you're getting beaten by a 110 pound girl, it's for only one reason - she's a better sailor than you. You need to be sailing against top-level talent every chance you get. If that means sailing radial when the wind is too much, so be it. More opportunity to hone your skill than sitting ashore.

While it's not the most politically correct thing you've written I do understand your point. Keep in mind the good radial girls can slap on a full rig and kick all of our butts in anything up to 15 and some in more than that, but as you mentioned the radial has become designated as the "girl rig". I think it's a shame that this "segragation" has happened in the class. Even in the Junior fleets the boys try to get out of the radial as fast as possible when they SHOULD stay in the radial. However, there are a few dudes sailing in the radial fleets at the bigger events like the NA's. Just look at the Masters fleets. The radial fleet is LOADED with TOP talent that are guys, (i.e. Mr. Boat Whisperer himself) but the difference is the older guys are wise enough to understand that killing themselves in the big rig is not much fun and mature enough to know that it is not a testiment to their ability to not sail the full rig, but it provides them the ability to enjoy top competition when they are underweight for the full rig. I think you're going to San Fran for the August event? There should be a nice radial fleet with great sailors and more than a couple of guys sailing in it. If you're still under 165 you should consider the radial for the big fleet experience considering how it blows there. Look at it this way. What will give you a better experience? Beating yourself to death being underweight in a full rig and finishing near the back of the fleet or having good control, actually being able to concentrate on tactics and getting better finishes in a radial fleet. Of course all of this assumes you're under 165 and it blows 20+. It should be mentally uplifting to get some nice big fleet finishes and you do not risk hurting yourself like the wrist or shoulder which could put you out for the rest of the year.

wow, well put and some sage advice. and this is good advice for everyone, not just stubborn olympic hopefuls. this kind of thinking will allow anyone to be more competitive and have fun. i admit, as we get older we get smarter. the laser class allows us all to meet conditions with equipment based on weight. forget about age and male/female. you're going to be competitive based on your ability, so why not put yourself in the best position to learn and have a good time.

wow, well put and some sage advice. and this is good advice for everyone, not just stubborn olympic hopefuls. this kind of thinking will allow anyone to be more competitive and have fun. i admit, as we get older we get smarter. the laser class allows us all to meet conditions with equipment based on weight. forget about age and male/female. you're going to be competitive based on your ability, so why not put yourself in the best position to learn and have a good time.

Wow. Thanks. I could use a compliment today.:)

I've got a slightly different viewpoint - A number of the Olympic qualifiers for the Games have dropped weight - it wouldn't surprise me that some are in the 165 lb range right now. So I don't think 160 or whatever is so light that someone would want to change to another class. I would be asking myself why with just a 5 to 10 lb advantage they were faster.. I don't think I would find that answer if I were not sailing against them

I've got a slightly different viewpoint - A number of the Olympic qualifiers for the Games have dropped weight - it wouldn't surprise me that some are in the 165 lb range right now. So I don't think 160 or whatever is so light that someone would want to change to another class. I would be asking myself why with just a 5 to 10 lb advantage they were faster.. I don't think I would find that answer if I were not sailing against them

Well he mentioned capsizing 6 times trying to get back in on day 2. So the speed questions are not going to get answered when you can't stay vertical. My point was more of you have to crawl before you walk, (not meant to be a desparaging remark, but it's the only anology I can come up with). Apparently, he's not having problems in lighter stuff. Stay full there, but use the radial in the heavy stuff until the control is mastered on the big rig in heavy stuff, (which is better done in practice than on a course with 100other boats and way softer on the self esteem). In the meantime the radial allows for big fleet experience in big breeze and the control allows him to still learn and improve tactically while training for the full rig in heavy air on the not so often days there is a chance to do that in SoCal.

not trying to pile on here, but ...
a more detailed race report from Ross would serve us well. he did race 2 races the first day. how about some detail?? where did you start, the conditions, favored side, mark roundings, tactics? these should all be contained in your race report that us Forum members want to read. Anna and Andrew always give great stories of their races and strategy. that's the stuff we can learn from and it can help Ross break down the race and improve on weak areas. just an opinion, thanks

Rob B. Very well put another attaboy, I remember being overweight
on H-16 w/crew but this Laser is a different animal and I am in at
172 and I am having time with it. I think about Radial of course I
am not the caliber you guys are. I am over 55 also decent shape.
All said and done I see where you are coming from.

Maciej Grabowski, from Poland...you should all know who he is...

If I'm not mistaken, he is a pretty small guy, yet one of the top in the world.

fitness people, all about fitness. Yes weight matters to a certain extent, but fitness level matters more.

Also, sailing technique and skill will play a certain role.....

Also, sailing technique and skill will play a certain role.....[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe just a small part.:rolleyes:

thanks, if I had my normal weight it wouldn't have been a problem. I would have liked more practice though, its not something we normally get in SoCal

Dude, I've browsed most of this thread, and to tell you the truth, I find it almost sad and pathetic.

So, if I understand correctly, fleet score +1 was 53? The two races you raced, you scored 51's...? Come on man, for what it's worth, save the money, stay home, and train a little bit more.

"By day one I recken I was at a slim 160 pounds"

Well, if you weighed "171-175 ish" before you went over, there is absolutely no way you lost that much weight. Unless, of course, you thought it would be good to see how much you could dehydrate yourself and how much water weight you could lose before needing to go to the hospital. But I really doubt that.

"By day one I recken I was at a slim 160 pounds, which is no good for 30 knots in a Full rig, and when I went out the second day, I went up wind for all of 2 minutes at the start line, told the RC I was heading home."

"The beat home was a different story, 2 hours, upwind, 30 knots, and your too damn light"

Just sounds like you plain quit and are trying to make excuses to make it seem more acceptable.

"...but the trip over really did it to me, as I can loose up to 3 pounds by skipping a meal, so sitting on a plane and in airports for 20 hours will takes its effect"

You don't lose weight from skipping a meal. Maybe you just always weigh yourself after eating a big meal and then expect that to be your weight all the time, I don't know.

Hey, here's an idea: plan for that shit. Trip over...long airport waits...no source of good food...

Jeez, maybe I should toss some: Powerbars, Gatorade, water, granola bars, fruit (not sure if this is allowed?), yogurt, etc. in my backpack to eat...JUST IN CASE.

Like man this whole Olympic campaign thing you got going must be your idea of a terrible joke. Either that, or you seriously need to step back and take a look at the situation. Don't set all these high performance goals and shit and set out your whole budget, then get bent out of shape when people comment/offer constructive criticism on it. It the same when you always whine about being a full time student and don't have the time to train and stuff. Well, who puts on a full blown Olympic campaign while still in/attending college? I don't know

This is not an Olympic campaign at all. There are guys on national teams who are not pursuing Olympic campaigns. Guys who have done exceptionally well internationally and won major North American events

Try coming top 5, 10 or even 15 at a major North American regatta before you start up and "Olympic campaign."

I look forward to seeing your results at US Nats.

Also, saw the pictures of your set up. I suggest moving your outhaul to the back of your boom, as most people do these days. It's better. With the way you have it, in breeze, when your vang is cranked it will inadvertently adjust/change your outhaul setting. Having all the purchase at the back of the boom eliminates this.

Also, I would like a response to this. I mean I doubt you will and you might just bitch and whine some more, but I truly would like a response.

Shatty, if you've read through all of these posts on this topic you will see that he does not respond well to this type of "criticism". Also, he has conceded that his "campaign" his mostly a dream at this point and he is realistic about his chances of actually making the or any "team".

I notice you're new to the forum. We keep it clean around here as a lot of kids post, (I know, I know they hear all of this on the race course and in real life anyway, but it's just the way we do it hear) so just replace the "S word" with "crap" next time.

Personally I'd like to see folks post more regatta reports with actual detail. Wind was blowing X, my settings were Y and my finishes were Z. My strart were X and my approach was Y. You know? That kind of stuff.

Yes Anna and Andy give regatta reports, but they can't get too detailed as I'm sure their competitors read their updates!

Anyway, feel free to post your next regatta report or results at the NAT's.

Rob B

Shatty
Finally somebody has put an end to all these false expectation about Ross actually having an "Olympic Campaign". I have no personal problems with Ross (in fact I actually admire her efforts), but I believe that she always finds excuses for her poor performance in her weight, (we all know that low weight can easilly be compensated with physicall training) and is naive enough to think that finding the perfect boat setup will dramatically improve her performance.
Once again I must repeat that I have nothing personal with Ross, but I do think that she should be a bit more realistic in general

Also, saw the pictures of your set up. I suggest moving your outhaul to the back of your boom, as most people do these days. It's better. With the way you have it, in breeze, when your vang is cranked it will inadvertently adjust/change your outhaul setting. Having all the purchase at the back of the boom eliminates this.

So just take the blocks, shorten the line that ties to the end of your boom, and lengthen your control line? Any possible pics of this?

So just take the blocks, shorten the line that ties to the end of your boom, and lengthen your control line? Any possible pics of this?

Umm. I could explain, but getting pictures next time I rig up would be much easier I think

I could do this Monday maybe.

I'll toss in pics of my cunningham set up and other stuff too I guess.

...And make a separate thread about it

Umm. I could explain, but getting pictures next time I rig up would be much easier I think

I could do this Monday maybe.

I'll toss in pics of my cunningham set up and other stuff too I guess.

...And make a separate thread about it

Thanks man. Any way you could do it sooner? I have a big regatta on monday and tuesday...

Ross,

Assuming you are back and have a big event this weekend at your home club. Are you still doing that or taking a break from the boat? If you are sailing what are you doing to gear up for this weekend?

What are your goals/expectations?

There's a big event at BYC? news to me! What is it?!

I know Nationals is at ABYC, which I will attend, my first goal is to get on a plane on Wenesday and get home, I have a beer can race on Thursday at my club, then Nationals. Hopefully my Mum can refrain from injuring herself again, and everything will go ok. And I hope all my gear that I shipped back will have arrived by then, so I should be good to.

Oops. I thought ABYC was your home club.

Have any goals set or just planning to see how things sort out after the start?

Kiel didn't plan out as thought, I'm hoping to do better than that lol

Shatty
Finally somebody has put an end to all these false expectation about Ross actually having an "Olympic Campaign". I have no personal problems with Ross (in fact I actually admire her efforts), but I believe that she always finds excuses for her poor performance in her weight, (we all know that low weight can easilly be compensated with physicall training) and is naive enough to think that finding the perfect boat setup will dramatically improve her performance.
Once again I must repeat that I have nothing personal with Ross, but I do think that she should be a bit more realistic in general

It's nice to see that Ross now seems to recognize that what he's got with respect to an Olympic campaign is purely aspirational (dream) and in not a serious contender.

On the other hand your snide remarks are uncalled for (ie she vs he)...

Ross,

If you have a dream go for it, don't let others have the discretion on the matter of you making it or not; the internet is a great way to find information. If you have a question, ask it, you will probably get a fine answer. But keep your dreamy thoughts to yourself. All this mumble jumble is a waste of time, get out on the water. Im right up the coast from you we should match race, cheers.

M

Checked Ross's blog. He posted regatta updates there. He must have asked Bradley to shut down the link between his blog and this spot. I guess the criticism was getting to him. He's still having major issues in anything over 15 and still thinks he's too light at 168, (sorry Ross, not so) and he thinks his boat has problems with his boards being too thin and out of alignment. So he's 3 for 3 in major events. I think he's got a couple more on his calander for the rest of this year. Time will tell if he can get out of the bottom 10% of the fleet at these big events.

Time will tell if he can get out of the bottom 10% of the fleet at these big events.

He can if he puts the time in. The top guys live Laser sailing and unless Ross wants to be full-time, he won't get to the very top. But he can certainly get off the bottom by PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, some coaching or a good clinic, working out,more PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE,.etc. He's still young he should have a good learning curve with the right effort.

He can if he puts the time in. The top guys live Laser sailing and unless Ross wants to be full-time, he won't get to the very top. But he can certainly get off the bottom by PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, some coaching or a good clinic, working out,more PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE,.etc. He's still young he should have a good learning curve with the right effort.

i agree. it's a shame we will not hear any race reports from him on this regatta. his overall finish was not great, but he did start and finish every race. he did beat boats in every race, and he had a finish in the forties. no dsq's or penalties. not bad, considering his schedule just before this regatta. hopefully, he will take away from this experience what he needs to do to post top ten finishes: practice, more big fleet regattas, weight training, and more practice. 2 years from now when he's done school he will have the time and lack of distractions to put his dream to the test.

i agree. it's a shame we will not hear any race reports from him on this regatta. his overall finish was not great, but he did start and finish every race. he did beat boats in every race, and he had a finish in the forties. no dsq's or penalties. not bad, considering his schedule just before this regatta. hopefully, he will take away from this experience what he needs to do to post top ten finishes: practice, more big fleet regattas, weight training, and more practice. 2 years from now when he's done school he will have the time and lack of distractions to put his dream to the test.

All true. He did not quit and that's a positive thing. He must practice more for sure. These events can not be his time in the boat. Time will tell............

Hey Ross, good to see you're continuing to record your progress with some encouraging blog entries. Is winter here and the winds for the past month have been in cycles of 30 to 60 knots, so no sailing for me.

cutting down on the ridiculous excuses, getting fit, and setting realistic goals come to mind

I'd say reality has probably set in at this point. He did tone it down a bit back in May, but with the most 2 recent experiences his feet are probably flat on the ground now.

It's ok Ross. You're just like the rest of us, (in our Laser sailing capabilities anyway) and we're not such a bad bunch.

I'd say reality has probably set in at this point. He did tone it down a bit back in May, but with the most 2 recent experiences his feet are probably flat on the ground now.

It's ok Ross. You're just like the rest of us, (in our Laser sailing capabilities anyway) and we're not such a bad bunch.

just like the rest of us???? i guess if youre pudgy and dont hike hard

just like the rest of us???? i guess if youre pudgy and dont hike hard

At 160 lbs I don't think he has a weight issue, but maybe he's not hiking hard enough. Hell if I know. As for me I check in at 200 so it has to blow for me to get into the strap well, but I can when I have to and I motor upwind.

As my "like the rest of us" comment. I don't think any of us posting here are Olympic material.

young people in that area of the states tend to not respect the rules much, which is where ross is coming from. a canadian that was a stickler for the rules didnt see it that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back