Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path

I have often thought of taking a bit of purchase out of the control line, like taking it off the becket, and tying a bowline through a block on the vang itself, but the 15:1 works pretty darn well

Vang purchase was discussed ad nauseam when the new rigging first came out. The only benefit I've ever heard of from having less than 15:1 is less line in the cockpit. That's never personally bothered me much.

It's an easy (and reversible) change to drop one line from the secondary purchase, so you might want to try it some time to see if you like it better.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Ross, did you take down your blog spot or is it on vacation for a while?

It's currently up and running. Try hitting refresh, sometimes blogger gets slow.

Hey Ross, I was just in the Miami area and the keys and I asked some sailing buddies of mine and they had never herd of Luke Lawrence. You said he was a big deal what all did he do?

He's another up and coming sailor like myself. He places pretty damn well, and has been on the Youth Development Team. I guess it all depends on who you ask.

I saw Luke just yesterday on Biscayne Bay. He's young, talented, and starting to make a name for himself. Sometimes he helps coach the Coral Reef YC junior Laser group that practices on Sundays.

Really i just was at the dinghy championships at the key Biscayne yacht club a few weeks age and coral reef was there. When I'm around Miami usually in Key Biscayne I see lots of people sailing in the bay I probably saw him one of the days I was there. I don't know what he looks like but I drive around the bay on my cousins boat and see lasers out all the time.

Intensity Clew Strap- 4/14

This will be the first of many posts where I review some items for Intensity Sails. In this particular edition I will be reviewing his clew strap.

I've used a couple of different clew straps, and this one is pretty great. It's build quality, like everything offered by Intensity Sails, is amazing. It looks and smells just like any other clew strap, and as such, I expect it to perform perfectly. You also can't beat it's price, much cheaper then the rest! I would highly recommend this to others!

Intensityclewstrap.gif

Seimar Bow Tie Down- 4/14

Peter Seidenberg, the inventor of the Seitech dolly, has answered one of the problems we all face with out Seitech dolly. Like you, my bow will pop up when wheeling around and working on my boat. This simple set up solves that. You simply drill two holes and use the supplied thread cutting screws and screw in the pad eye, and the bungee with hooks on to the bow support post of the dolly. This was very easy for me to do, and once I remembered that my drill bit needs to spin to the right, it was a very quick process. (In my defense, I had 4 hours of sleep last night!) Seeing as how the screws and pad eye are made of stainless steel, and the dolly is aluminum, I added some caulking to the holes, pad eye where it met the dolly, and the screws to protect from rust. I expect no issues with this product, and only expect great things! I would highly recommend this to others!

Intensitybowtiedown.gif

Seimar Cushion Caps -4/14

Peter Seidenberg has been good to use again. This time with his dolly cushion caps. These are meant to cushion the boat while it's on it's dolly, and prevent damage to the hull. As Peter says, they are made out of this very nice, hard rubber like material called Santoprene, which is very nice on the hull, no worries there.

The stabilizer bracket caps are pretty much anchored in place, once you slide them over, they won't move anywhere! The cap for the bow support is held in place by friction, and it might require an adhesive to make sure it does not get legs. These take care of my boat, and support it correctly, can't argue with that.

Like all other products offered by Intensity, I expect nothing less than perfection from this product. And I would recommend this to others!

Intensitydollycover1.gif

Intensity Blade Bag -4/14

I've only used two different blade bags in my Laser life so far, and I've grown quite attached to one of them. But this one has always sparked my interest. I really like how this one does not have a top loading entry, you simply zip open the side and slide your centerboard in, and its good to go. It's also nice that there is just enough room in there to allow for the Tek-Marine edge protectors that I use, but this bag has all the right padding in all the right places, so they may not be necessary. Another nice thing about the centerboard section is that on the back where the tiller and extension storage are, there is a mesh panel to allow the centerboard to breathe. I've never been one to dry off my board, so this takes the worry out of that.

The rudder compartment is just as easy to get to. Simply open the velcro flap, of the big mesh panel, and slide it in. There is also a special pocket in there to hold your battens so they don't get lost, and there is enough room in there for a folded up sail. On top of all this is another mesh pocket to hold all your rigging and lines.

Some might not like that it only comes in red, but seeing as red is my favorite colour, this really works for me. I also really like that on the back there is a space to write your name and sail number, which is something that is not usually offered. And the strap is directly sewn into the bag, and is set the perfect level. No need to mess with funny adjustment systems anymore.

My only complaint is that the mesh pocket could do to be a bit bigger, but I have been known to carry around A LOT of stuff. So hopefully this bag will force me to square down to only the necessary items I need. Not exactly a bad thing. Also, the price of this bag is also amazing, currently on sale, this bag is much cheaper then what else is currently out there, your buck really goes a long way here! I look forward to using this item, and seeing how it works for me. And I would highly recommend this to others, can't beat it!

Intensitybladebag.gif

Intensity Tyvek Regatta Deck Cover -4/14

I've always used my bottom cover to cover my boat over night at regattas and during extend period of practice, as it has more room under it than my top cover. But I like to use a product for it's intended purpose. Thankfully I found this cover by Intensity, and my prayers were answered!

I admit, I have never heard of the particular material that this cover is made out of: Tyvek. But Wikipedia tells me that Tyvek was first discovered in 1955 at Dupont, by Jim White, and is very strong and tear resistant, UV resistant, and does not allow liquid water to pass though it. This is exactly what I'm looking for! It also turns out that the USPS uses Tyvek for some of its Priority and Express Mail packaging, very interesting.

It's nice that it has reinforcement patches sewn into all the right places, and has an adjustable bungee sewn into the edges of it to keep the correct tension. It's also just big enough to keep all my gear under it overnight, but not too big that it blows all over the place, it's just perfect. And since it's so light, it can be folded up tightly, and stored away, even into your gear bag if you choose. I know I am heavily considering taking it to Kiel with me this summer.

One thing that I found particularly interesting, is that when I opened the bag which contained the cover, it smelled of vinegar! The smell is not as bad today, and it should go away with time. Shouldn't be that big of an issue.

And as usual with Intensity's high quality, the sewing on this cover is excellent, and I expect this cover to last a long time. And this product is set at a great price, and currently on sale, can't beat Intensity's price for this regatta cover! I'll make sure to report back on this product in the future, and we'll see how well it performs, I expect nothing but the best from this, it's a great product, I would highly recommend this to everyone.

Intensityregattacover.gif

Acrylic Reinforced Spar Cover -4/14

Like many sailors, after a long day at a multi day regatta, I pull my battens out and roll my sail around my mast, and roll the vang and downhaul around the mast, and lay it on the boat, throw the cover on, and go home. Often times you'll come back the next day to foggy conditions, and everything covered with dew, and the exposed part of you mast, sail, and lines are pretty wet. This can get annoying 4 days into a regatta.

Thankfully this mast cover solves that. This cover was inspired by North American Masters Champ Mark Bear, and he really had the right idea. Just unzip the reinforced end, and slide your mast and sail in, and zip it back up. It also has a nice batten pocket so you always know where they are. It's also nice that the ends have red streamers on both ends, and reflective piping on the mast tip, so you'll always see it, and hopefully never bump into it. And it has enough room in it to leave your vang and downhaul rigged on the mast, so thats less time spent re-rigging the next day.

I felt that the cover could have had a full zipper and double zippers, so you could just lay your mast into it, and zip from each end. But it works perfectly as it is. It also concerned me at the point where it tapers, it seemed to be stressed a bit, and was under a bit of tension. I don't exactly understand the style of the taper, but it must be there and like that for a reason. Maybe if the cover was half an inch, or an inch longer on each end, this wouldn't be an issue. Or I'm probably just being paranoid about design like usual.

Aside from those two personal, and minor complaints, this cover is up to Intensity standards, and the quality is amazing. I look forward to using this, and seeing how it lasts. Nothing but the best, I would highly recommend it.

Intensitymastbag.gif

Rigging 101: A multitude of things. -4/14

I did a bit of general care today, and I thought you guys might like to see what I did. I had to switch back to my Ronstan/Freddy rachet block. The new Ronstan Orbit block I've been using is attached with a spectra loop, and after maybe 3 regattas, it's starting to fray and I'm afraid it might blow while out sailing. I'll have to ask Ronstan what to do to solve this, I filed my eyestap down, but this is apparently not enough. Maybe they can make a version with a shackle, I'll have to ask nicely. See the pic for the wear and tear.

IMG_0232.jpg

I also attached a pic to show how I attach the block when using a stand up boot, as some people have problems with these. The first thing I do is is zip tie it tight at quarters to compress it, this makes it easier to screw the block into the shackle. After you have the block attached, just clip off the zip ties, and milk the boot up and over the shackle, and presto, your done! A really nice thing about the boot, instead of the spring, is that lines don't get caught it, and if they get wrapped around, you just pull them out. They also can't get permanently bent. But they should still be replaced every couple of years. ( And yes, I was sitting in my boat, on my dolly when I did this, it's just easier to do that way. I don't recommend this to everyone, especially for long periods of time, this could place unnatural stresses on your boat. And yes I know, I have sexy supermodel legs! Very Nice!)

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

I also worked on my mast tie in line. This is something that I'm always fighting with, to try and find the easiest option. As of now I've come down to tow options. Option 1 is to tie a tight bowline around the mast, and lead it through the gooseneck, and tie it though the base plate. Option 2 is to tie a stopper ball in one end of the line, and lead the line through the gooseneck, and tie off at the base plate. Both are basically the same, but subtly different, nothing really special. I'll decide which next time I go out. Note that the line in the pic is not the final length, so it will be cut down.

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

Rooster Hiking Strap Adjustment System

Also, some people have asked me what style of hiking strap adjustment I use. I use the Rooster setup, which is pretty basic, and I think most people go with this. It's explained pretty well here: http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/articles/ltap.pdf And you can buy it here http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/articles/ltap.pdf
Note that I have a loop of bungee going through the hiking strap adjustment eye. I use this to hold my sport drink of choice. I just slide it though, and it stays pretty put. Sometimes downwind if its in the way of my foot, I'll just flip it on top of the hiking strap adjustment line, and it stay out of the way.
IMG_0224.jpg

Somebody also asked for a full pic of my boat, so here you go. I'll try and get one up of my Laser fully rigged someday.
IMG_0175.jpg

Tests, Teeth, and Blocks -4/14

As you guys know, I had to miss Saturday of Midwinters West. And I'm really glad I did, as that was the last class before the last test. Well I got my test back over the weekend at class, and going to the class really paid off, I got a 97% on that test, which is and A, and I only missed one problem. So I'm stoked about that. If I keep it up, I should be able to get an A in this class, which would be most excellent.

I also had my wisdom teeth taken out last Friday. Everyone says this is a horrific thing to experience, but it wasn't that bad for me, as I only had three teeth to remove, top and bottom on left, and bottom on right. The left is sore, and the right feels fine. It just feels like I've been punched in the jaw, just some "slight discomfort". One of the nice things about having them removed is that you can't eat as much, so I've lost some weight, I'm going to try and keep it at 165, and build back up to 170 in muscle. I've been doing more sit ups on my hiking bench, and lifting, and I feel great.

Also, I sent in my top block of my downhaul to Harken last week, and they are currently working on it. It's basically a Micro fiddle I made out of a Harken High Load wire block, with becket, and a 16mm forkhead attached to that. So I'm very excited to see what they have to say, and see what they can do for me. That setup will be covered in my upcoming Rigging 101, so you guys can look forward to that.

Correction -4/14

In one of my last posts, Rigging 101: Vang, dated at 4/1, I have a picture of the fine tune coming in to the vang boom block. And on top of the fine tune block I have a red stopper ball. Please note that this is illegal. I had to contact Chief Measure Jean-Luc Michon about something, and he saw my blog, and was kind enough to correct this for me. I will say that I first saw this in Tim Davison's "The Laser Book", and it showed Paul Goodison (I believe it was him) rigging his vang with one, and I never thought to check the rules for this. So if you plan on going to a world class event, I would advise against doing this. I will have to go and remove mine.

The new Ronstan Orbit block I've been using is attached with a spectra loop, and after maybe 3 regattas, it's starting to fray and I'm afraid it might blow while out sailing.

Ronstan deserve the "who would have seen it coming?" award for that one. With an extra "what were they thinking" commendation.

I also had my wisdom teeth taken out last Friday. mine.

You could be onto something here. With a whole mouthful of 30 or so to go you could lose almost 300g overnight!

The idea of the Orbit block is great, but it could have been thought out better. The Harken Carbo blocks have the right idea as far as tying blocks to a spar. But I don't think it works as well for trying to a eye strap, especially with spectra. Whats really funny is Tom Slingsby is quoted and has his pic in the Orbit ad. One would think that if they were going to target the Laser class, or any class for that matter that attached their mainsheet block with a metal eye strap, that they would use a shackle. Hopefully they will head back to the drawing board, and release a version with one as I much prefer the Orbit to the Ronstan/Freddy.

I am in need of a training partner! -4/16

School gets out for me around May 22nd, and I leave for Kiel the 21st of June. In between this time period I expect to be sailing 2 to 4 days a week training for Kiel, and I would like to have a training parter to sail against. To do the normal drills, rabbit starts, long upwind and downwind speed testing, the usual stuff. I would like to keep the same partner for an extended period of time if possible, so we can build a relationship, and work off each other, and if possible, attend the same regattas. Maybe some days, we can get some other people and do some group practice. If we choose, we can also go to the gym together. Once I get back from Europe, on the 6th, Nationals is the 8th, and I would like to keep a normal training schedule, we can work on that later.

This is a commitment! Serious inquiries only! I expect to be sailing out of Balboa Yacht Club, in Southern California. But I might consider training out of ABYC in Long Beach, if accommodations can be made.

Please contact me at [email protected]

Thank you.

Thank you BYC! -4/16

I would like to thank my yacht club, Balboa Yacht Club, for coming on board and supporting me. They have also graciously set up an account for me for donations.

So if you would like to send a donation, please make checks payable to “BYC MSSF", and add "Ross Bennett" in the memo, and please send to the following address:

BYC Maritime Sciences And Seamanship Foundations (BYCMSSF)
c/o Ross Bennett
1901 Newport Blvd Suite 350
Costa Mesa, Ca, 92627

And of course, all donations will receive a tax deductible receipt.

This information is also in the right side bar, in case anyone forgets!

Thank you!

http://www.balboayachtclub.com/

Line Honors-Performance Sailing Supply -4/16

This just in, Line Honors-Performance Sailing Supply has just signed on as a new sponsor. I would like to thank them very much, and I hope we can enjoy a long relationship together!

And of course make sure to visit their website!

http://www.linehonors.com/

Line Honors-Performance Sailing Supply -4/16

This just in, Line Honors-Performance Sailing Supply has just signed on as a new sponsor. I would like to thank them very much, and I hope we can enjoy a long relationship together!

And of course make sure to visit their website!

http://www.linehonors.com/

Congrats - but please no more reviews of clew straps....

Thanks

And I can't make any promises, but if I have to, I promise to make it more interesting than the last! :) They are rather hard to review!

Ross
Just some advice, this is not a personal attack.
I am 16 and also aiming at olympics in 2012. Your biggest problem is that you make excuses for your results. You need to get off your butt and train harder to get up there. Trust me its a great feeling to be near the top of a fleet. When someone puts you down I smile because this just motivates me to train harder. One day il thanks these people. You need to also take any criticism you can get openly. Please stop living the dream and do something about yor dream if you are a do'er. Know drink a protein shake an go for a run.
See you at olympics
peace

Ross was invited to create his blog on TLF.

I'll be recommending banishment for people who continue to bring the argument from a closed thread here.

Ross
I am 16 and also aiming at olympics in 2012. Your biggest problem is that you make excuses for your results. You need to get off your butt and train harder to get up there. Trust me its a great feeling to be near the top of a fleet. When someone puts you down I smile because this just motivates me to train harder. One day il thanks these people. You need to also take any criticism you can get openly. Please stop living the dream and do something about yor dream if you are a do'er. Know drink a protein shake an go for a run.
See you at olympics
peace

Thanks, thats what I'm trying to do. These guys make me stronger every day.

Ross
I am 16 and also aiming at olympics in 2012. Your biggest problem is that you make excuses for your results...

Excuses are fine, as long as people realise what to do with them.

So you didn't win a race becasue you were late to the line. So what you gonna do bout it? Refine your regatta day planning? Get up earlier? Increase your focus so you're not distracted before the race?

A winner is not someone who doesn't make excuses, a winner is someone who uses excuses to their advantage.

BEst of luck with your campaign too, Chris. :cool:

you don't want to know...

hell, I don't want to think about it!

you don't want to know...

hell, I don't want to think about it!

Let me guess. Hmmm.

The budget is in ragged ruins and you've been apprenticed out to a plumber to repay the bill?

Put us out of our guessing misery. It's all relevent to the problems anyone else would have. It's history in the making. A candid inside view into the world of campaigning. :cool:

I could have bought a very new boat instead...

But thankfully my YC helps, and I now have a donation fund!

I don't even like to think about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back