Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path

I have an 82, which I bought from Kim Zetterberg, who used it as his training boat for his Olympic Campaign, and he won the 1990 New Bedford Apprentice Masters Worlds, great guy. It's solid as a tank, great boat, smidge heavy but it was faster then ever.

My current boat is an 02, that I bought from Ned Jones, maybe in 03 or 04, can't remember. But Ned's been a friend of mine for as long as I've been sailing Lasers, also a great guy. The boat has been wonderful, and I should probably get 5 or 6 more years out of it. It's got some cosmetic(battle scar) repairs that are kind of fugly, but other than that it's great

Ross, if you can sail in Europe all summer, more power to you. There will be plenty of opportunities to sail at NA top level events. The competition over there is so keen. Not that I know from firsthand experience, just that the Europeans come over here every winter and seriously kick my ass; and the great sailors I know train with them and race over there as much as possible.

I just took 2 sails, tiller and extension, all lines, lifejacket, hiking pants, etc. over to AUS along with full camping gear and stuff to wear to a wedding and they let me on the plane. European carriers may not let you take luggage as heavy as American carriers. I took my tiller in a PVC tube as a carryon in the US but the international carrier (NZ) made me check it; which put me over the two-bag limit. Plead ignorance and maybe they'll let you slide.

And enjoy the ride.

I took my tiller in a PVC tube as a carryon in the US but the international carrier (NZ) made me check it; which put me over the two-bag limit. Plead ignorance and maybe they'll let you slide.

And enjoy the ride.

I did this for Orange Bowl and CORK, except I had to check it. I asked if I could carry it this time when we booked out flight, and they said forget about it.

Michelle are you familiar with Key Biscayne?

Have you heard of Luke Lawrence? He's a good friend of mine from Florida, and he's kind of a big deal. Look him up, he could teach you a thing or two.

I don' think so, I have cousins who live in Key Biscayne and are big 420 sailiors. One of my cousins actually got 2nd in a big regatta out there, I don't know which one it is but I know it was big. I personally live in Kansas but I spend a lot of time in Florida. I'll be down in Florida In a few weeks actually. They have Lasers at their yacht club and I can use them for free, I figure I could get a taste of ocean sailing. I'm sure my cousins have heard of him they know a lot of people in the sailing community.

ahhhh

I had assumed you were from Florida because of your location

I just put that because I spend alot of time down there. I live in Shawnee kansas if youve ever herd of it. there are a few lakes were I live but its still to cold. I dont have a dry suit so it wouldn't be much fun to go sailing. i only have a wetsuit which only works in the fall.

I know of a few people that do in the winter but I don't. The lakes usually dont freeze over that thick so usually the ice isn't thick othrewise we would.

2 More Years-3/5

A small diversion if you will.

As you all know, I am currently in college, my second year to be exact. Well today I received my acceptance letter to Concordia University. It's a nice school, small, and just up the street. For those of you that know Orange County, its right below UCI. I'll probably be studying Graphic Design.

Yay me.

http://cui.edu/

Is there any action photos or video footage available of RossB olympic hopeful carving it up in 25knts? This thread needs photos.

2 More Years-3/5

As you all know, I am currently in college, my second year to be exact. Well today I received my acceptance letter to Concordia University. It's a nice school, small, and just up the street. For those of you that know Orange County, its right below UCI. I'll probably be studying Graphic Design.

Yay me.

Hey, congrats Ross. I've been following this thread for some time and check out your website from time to time. Honestly I think the most impressive thing is your commitment to school. It's great and that commitment will be well worth it in the end.

Danno

2 More Years-3/5
A small diversion if you will.As you all know, I am currently in college, my second year to be exact. Well today I received my acceptance letter to Concordia University. It's a nice school, small, and just up the street. For those of you that know Orange County, its right below UCI. I'll probably be studying Graphic Design.Yay me. http://cui.edu/

Not coming out East? Too bad you would have enjoyed the 125" of snow, ice caps and true "frostbite" sailing...Did you check out Chapman in the OC they have an up and coming sailing team...

Not coming out East? Too bad you would have enjoyed the 125" of snow, ice caps and true "frostbite" sailing...Did you check out Chapman in the OC they have an up and coming sailing team...

There's a reason I decided against BU, it's cold!

I looked at Chapman, very nice school, but they won't taken American Sign Language (ASL) as a foreign language, being American Sign Language, its just not foreign enough....

check my blog for pics Saw...

Hey, congrats Ross. I've been following this thread for some time and check out your website from time to time. Honestly I think the most impressive thing is your commitment to school. It's great and that commitment will be well worth it in the end.

Danno

Thanks a lot Dan, that really means a lot!

There's a reason I decided against BU, it's cold!

I looked at Chapman, very nice school, but they won't taken American Sign Language (ASL) as a foreign language, being American Sign Language, its just not foreign enough....

check my blog for pics Saw...

Ross, you gotta help me out with the sign language thing. I"m having visions of Napoleon Dynamite.:D

In real life there's only one sign you need to know, I think you know which one.....

but the one I use most often, probably daily, is this one
http://lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/signs.htm

Some signs just come out,like "what", rather funny really. I was great how we would use ASL in other classes to talk and get away with it, because we were "practicing"

In real life there's only one sign you need to know, I think you know which one.....

Oh that one! Yes, I get told that I'm number #1 all the time via sign language. I think folks are specially impressed with my driving skills because that is where I see it most often!

At my school, you had to know a foreign language to graduate, and it's required for college. Sign Language, French, and Spanish was offered. I took Spanish all though Middle School, and always failed it, so that was out. And I took to weeks of French Sophmore year, and that got too hard, so I said forget that. The key is to find a deaf person that teaches Sign Language! :)

Where does Luke Lawrence live I'm going to Miami on friday, then on too the keys for a regatta. The regatta is actually in Key Biscayne at the KBYC. I dont think its that big though.

they should, he's kind of a big deal

2 More Years-3/5

Yay me.

I suggest you start a sailing team immediately.

So what's the update here, Bennett?

refi_clock_ticking.jpg

I should have one within 48-72 hours, its spring break, so I'm VERY lazy at the moment

Shouldn't you be out sailing somewhere if it's spring break in Southern California?

It will be in my blog, wait and read!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back