Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path

Remember that start up football league a few years back, (maybe 10 years back?) called the XFL? There was this dude that came from no where and he was an awsome player. He ended up getting drafted to the big show in the NFL.

The name from his XFL jersey was, "He Hate Me". The guy inspired a lot of folks.

Anyway, I learned long ago not to post something I would not stand behind or freely admit was a mistake. You never know when you might run into someone! So, I'm easy to ID.

BTW, I'm cool w/the plug from Boathouse.

Bradley You should see the comments I just received on my site, I opened up the comments for 20 minutes to see what would happen, and I can't even repeat here what was said, very childish, crude, and rude. There are obviously people that hate me, and the one thing I hate about forums/ internet is that people can stand behind a fake name and get away with anything.

Ross,

I don't think people hate you specifically. The internet is a great tool for people to hide behind - most would not say those things to your face. More than the internet, though, it is human nature. See, you have a plan, a goal - a very worthwhile goal. These folks probably don't - so, they make themselves seem more important than you (in their minds) by trashing on you.

A lot of people in this world are very insecure - and they all have internet access! (And, most of them can't spell or use the English language correctly - but that is another issue!)

Scott

hehe...The 470NA comment was an inside joke directed towards Scott/theboathouse and others "in the know". 470na.org is a member of the Sailing Forums Network....

Merrily, this thread is obviously not going to work for some people, lets consider getting rid of it.

There are obviously people that hate me, and the one thing I hate about forums/ internet is that people can stand behind a fake name and get away with anything.

Ross, you openly choose post a lot of information about yourself both here and in your blog (something I wouldn't have the guts to do myself, hiding amongst the anonymity of the internet). By doing that, you must develop a thick skin to resist the comments of naysayers and trolls who are simply looking to get a reaction from you.

That being said, many of the comments offered in this thread were offered as constructive criticism. People were not passing judgement on you, so you shouldn't take it personally.

Don't start a thread like this if you are only going to ask to have it closed a day later.

I believe "no good deed goes unpunished" applies to your efforts.

Certainly there are many great wonderful individuals in the Laser family.

There are many colorful individuals.
There are also some very small minded selfish people who sail our singlehanded boats.

I suspect it has something to do with the singlehanded part.

Here are a few thoughts:
People who would never be in charge of anything else, are in charge when they sail Lasers.
People who simply are too antisocial to gather friends and organize a team can compete on Lasers.
People who lack organizational and scheduling skills can go to a Laser event at the last minute ( count me in this bunch)

Sometimes, those who have few friends, are incapable of doing anything about it and hurt find solace in trashing others.

"Bringing 'em down to their own level" is an activity of choice for many failures.

When some person feels compelled to tell stories about you or make it his career to discredit you and you simply cannot figure out what motivation the guy could possibly have...
The odds are he is insane with jealousy and simply cannot stand your prosperity.

The person has never amounted to anything himself and can't stand the fact anybody else is accomplishing what he can't.

These bodies pushed by jealous sick minds are incapable of positive behavior. They do not care about the destruction they bring as all they want is to bring everybody down to their pathetic level of existence.
In fact, the sick mind of these folks is rewarded by any clue the destruction was as a result of their behavior.
Admonishing one of these people with, "You are spoiling it for everybody." is heard as "We all know you control something."

The following is very very sound, do as I say and not as I do, advice:

When people start making things up and trying to use the lies to trash your contributions.

Ignore them.
Do not respond.
Do not explain.
Simply and totally ignore them.
Don't even flinch!

Ross
Love to hear how you are going as it is a delight to see a young person with dreams that they are seeking to make a reality
Also, for some unknown reason, have never been able to get onto your site, so are pleased to see it here

Alex/Steve

It's Scott, he's cool in my book.

I'm in year 2 of college. If I get accepted to my college of choice to transfer next fall, I should only have 2 more years, 3 at the most.

If you are serious about an Olympic campaign, you should transfer to a school in NEISA (like Tufts, BU, even UNH) and test yourself against some real college sailing competition. The people you sail against in college will most likely be your competition in a few years...see e.g. Andrew Campbell.

If you are serious about an Olympic campaign, you should transfer to a school in NEISA (like Tufts, BU, even UNH) and test yourself against some real college sailing competition. The people you sail against in college will most likely be your competition in a few years...see e.g. Andrew Campbell.

Actually I disagree. College sailing while keeping you sharp and out on the water all fall and spring has little to do with Olympic Class racing. College races last about 15 minutes and rule 42 is virtually non-existant. Compare that to a grueling 1.5 mile course 2 to 3 times around and the tactics, physical endurance and mental endurance are very much different. I am not saying college sailing won't help but don't bank on it for big fleet laser racing training. Also as a note Andrew Campbell went to Georgetown a MAISA school.

I know where Andrew Campbell went to school. The quality of local competition and coaching is higher in NEISA than MAISA though. Although the best sailors from the best teams in each district sail against each other at intersectionals anyway, it is the level of local competition that is most important for the improvement of the rest of the sailors on a team.

And, for a sailor like Ross, the coaching, daily practice, and weekend regattas against other good sailors would be very valuable. Although the races are shorter, such races stress starting, mark roundings, and other close-quarter boat handling skills as well as tactics and boatspeed. These skills are still important in big fleet racing.

Regardless, there's plenty of time to race Lasers in bigger fleets in the summertime.

For personal family reasons I need to stay close to home for awhile.

Then I assume that you'll be sending your resume to Sego and your application to USC.

Someplace closer, It looks like I'll be going to Concordia, with no sailing team. My own sailing is more than enough to keep me occupied, along with school, thank you very much.

more myths of laser sailing? LOL

I gaurantee you won't be at a disavantage if you go to the school of your choice. Ask Ben Ainslie which American College he went to. Then tell me all your guys can out sail him. LOL

Ben Ainslie is a God among mere men!

I never sailed in school,because my high school didn't offer it, even though I tried to start a team, it didn't take off, so college sailing really is not a priority for me.

Two Steps Down-2/28

We bought the airline tickets todays, we leave the 21st of June, and have a layover at Heathrow in London, fun fun, and then fly into Hamburg. And we leave out of Praha (Prague) in the Czech Republic, and then fly back to Heathrow, and should be home on the 7th of August. I can tell that the baggage is going to be an issue. My Mum and I have to take our regular clothes, and I have to take my Laser clothes and sailing gear, my tiller and extension, and my keel boat gear. My wallet can feel the baggage overage charges from here. I'm sure it will work out, it always does, somehow....

I also registered for Kiel today, kind of nice being the first Laser sailor registered, and an American to boot.

Can you explain how you still have the wrong dates listed on your website for the US Nationals at ABYC?

Can you explain how you still have the wrong dates listed on your website for the US Nationals at ABYC?

because I added them a couple of months ago, they might have changed, I'll look into it

Why the hostility?

It just makes the entire 'campaign' look pretty half-assed with a European vacation thrown into the middle. Two of the biggest events on the US calendar take place at the end of July and beginning of August in California. The dates have been the same since announced last year. Having the dates wrong on the 'campaign calendar' is sloppy and reduces the credibility of the approach.

It just makes the entire 'campaign' look pretty half-assed with a European vacation thrown into the middle. Two of the biggest events on the US calendar take place at the end of July and beginning of August in California. The dates have been the same since announced last year. Having the dates wrong on the 'campaign calendar' is sloppy and reduces the credibility of the approach.

I still wonder at your hostility. He made a mistake, and instead of starting off mean, you could just try pointing out the error.

This is an example of constructive criticism:

All of your gear should be 110% ready to go at thsi point and your regatta schedule does not look very aggressive.

This is an example of snide comments from the peanut gallery which should be ignored:

It just makes the entire 'campaign' look pretty half-assed with a European vacation thrown into the middle.

Ross, be it an "Olympic campaign" or "European vaction", please continue on with it and continue writing in your blogs. I think it will be a good experience for you both as a person and a sailor. I wish I had the opportunity to do something similar when I was your age.

ross: have you considered shipping (UPS, DHL, or FedEx) your gear ahead. with enough time, it could be a wash for what "extra baggage" charges seem to be rising up to all of sudden. also, it's that much less to carry, check, and watch every minute. travel light.
i'm pretty sure all of them (UPS, DHL, and FedEx) have offices in Euro for the return.

Ross,

Although you and I have not always seen eye to eye on a lot of things, don't take peoples' comments as anything other than cowardly attempts to make themselves feel bigger by slamming others. Good luck with your campaign!

Having said that, I do think Rob was trying to help - not criticize. Don't know Rob other than his posts here, but that is how I read it.

And finally, (my completely free advice - cause I know you want it ;-) - try to enjoy the campaign. Take the time to see some of what Europe (the world) has to offer - even if some folks think it is a vacation - just because you want to go to the Olympics does not mean you don't get to have a vacation. Prague is amazing - definitely try to do some sightseeing there. The beer is the absolute best. If you get a chance, there is a little bar on the Castle side of the Charles Bridge that sells this beer called Angel. It is off to the Right - give it a looksee if you get the chance. It may be sold elsewhere as well, but this is the only place I found it.

Good Luck,
Matt

Are you kidding me? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!?? Kiel is a GRADE 1 ISAF EVENT! US Nationals is a GRADE 2! And when I added US Nats to my calender from the ABYC website, 6 MONTHS AGO, THE DATES WERE DIFFERENT, SO EXCUSE ME FOR NOT RECHECKING EVERY 6 SECONDS! Kiel is also THE BIGGEST REGATTA IN THE WORLD!!! With over 5,000 competitors! I was also invited to sail in the Baltic Sprint Cup, which is a chance of a life time, so it will not be passed. I am also trying to change my tickets so I can get back to do the Nationals.

Also, I don't know you, and if my luck holds I never will. But you have NO RIGHT to talk to me like that, especially since it is easy for you to hide on the internet. I don't know your sailing history, but I know that I have sailed more than most my age. And if you don't like what I do, or the way I do it, I suggest you look elsewhere.

ross: have you considered shipping (UPS, DHL, or FedEx) your gear ahead. with enough time, it could be a wash for what "extra baggage" charges seem to be rising up to all of sudden. also, it's that much less to carry, check, and watch every minute. travel light.
i'm pretty sure all of them (UPS, DHL, and FedEx) have offices in Euro for the return.

I have considered this, and will some more, but shipping heavy things to Europe can be very expensive. I forgot about DHL, so thanks for that!

The Next Day.....- 2/29

So I had my plane tickets changed so I come home August 6th, because I found out that the dates for the US Laser Nationals at ABYC have been changed, so I will be attending that, the next day! I am going to be so tired during that regatta, it won't even be funny, ok actually it will, at least I'll be there, and thats all that matters.

* ok it actually starts the 8th, but you still get the point, it's been a long day

Thanks, Fracisco, for pointing out the date change. Like Ross, I've made calendar mistakes, and for important things too. In future, please try to be more constructive with your criticism.

T I am going to be so tired during that regatta...

Sleep on the plane (both directions.) You will be jet-lagged, but the more sleep you can get, the better off you will be.

Also, drink plenty of water. Flying dehydrates you.

Ross, It looks like your are setting up a great starting point for your campaign. Hitting these 2 events back to back and possibly the 3rd event in your area later will be a great temperature guage to see where you are at and where you need to go. Also, it will be great to watch your results and see how you improve from event to event. I would imagine racing 3 large fleet events together will be a crash course or a fast track refresher. The trick will be to progressivly improve through it.

Now for the constructive criticism, preaching, what ever you want to call it. Not too long ago you were banned from this site shortly after you began posting here. It looks like you took the lesson to heart which is a good thing.

You should remember that sailing is a VERY small community. Most of us that post here are probably about twice your age, with jobs and kids. We sleep very little and are crotchity and grumpy as a result. You may be independently wealthy and will never need a job which is a wonderful thing if you can manage it. However, you might need a job one day or donations for your campaign and could find yourself sitting in front of one of us for either reason. So, keep that in mind when you respond to these criticisims. It shows better on your character when you do not let these things get to you. I'm sure some of these things piss you off, but sleep on your responses and post the next day. Humility is a very enduring quality of one's personality. Once you put something in writing it's there forever. Well, at least until Janet or Bradly delete it!

Once you put something in writing it's there forever. Well, at least until Janet or Bradly delete it!

Which we do very rarely. It has to be a severe personal attack or the very worst sort of language. This thread and some of the sniping is still here, please note.

I should have put a laughing face at the end on that statement. It was meant to be funny.

I should have put a laughing face at the end on that statement. It was meant to be funny.

I know, Rob, but I still want people, especially newcomers, to understand the policy here. Thanks for the opportunity! :D

Ross, this may sound like a silly question but. How do you ship your boat around from place to place? It sounds like your going all over the worlf how do you get all your stuff there?

Ross, this may sound like a silly question but. How do you ship your boat around from place to place? It sounds like your going all over the worlf how do you get all your stuff there?

Thankfully with the Laser, you can charter at big regattas, so I don't have to ship. If I were to ship, I would put it in a 40 foot container and end it off. And after college when I plan on spending lots of time in Europe, I'll probably buy a boat, and ship it back when I'm done. Same thing when I go to AUS/NZL. Or maybe leave it at a friends house.

*If you have no idea what it means to ship by container, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_freight_transport

cool thanks, so you can just charter boats at different regattas and just show up with nothing. And there is a boat waiting for you?

you bring your clothes, lines, sails, tiller/extension. Sometimes you have to pay extra for blades, and spars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back