Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ross B

Hey guys!

Bradley asked me if I would be interested in posting all my blog postings here about my Olympic Campaign for you guys, similar to what happens with Andrew Campbell, and it sounded like a great idea, so I said of course!

But unlike my blog, you guys can ask me any question you want here, and I will respond. The reason the comments on my blog were turned off is because I kept getting hate spammed, and people were not being productive and positive. And of course this thread will be heavily moderated, so lets stay positive! :)

First a little history:

My Parents introduced me to sailing around the age of five, by taking me out on my Dads S2 in New Jersey, and then I started sailing Sabots in the Junior program at their Yacht Club, Dana Point Yacht Club. Several years later, I moved to the Laser, and moved to Balboa Yacht Club, and did their Junior program. I still continue to race Lasers, and crew on a number of different boats; such as Santana 20’s and a Mumm 30, and I compete locally and away when time allows as I am a full time student. My goals are to work toward the 2012 Olympics in London, in the Laser, and the 2016 Olympics.

This summer I will be continuing my Olympic Campaign by racing in Germany, and doing Kiel Week in the Laser, and crewing on Commodore David Aisher’s Rogers 46 Yeoman XXXII, of the Royal Ocean Racing Club for the Baltic Sprint Cup.

From here on out I'll post my blog postings and answers any questions you guys have. Hope you enjoy!

Re: Ross Bennett's Olympic Path

A New Year- 1/13

I would like to wish everyone a late, but Happy New Year, and wish you the best is everything you do.

This year hold a lot for, and it's not going to be easy. I'm taking five classes this semester, with a Saturday Math class, which will severely cut into my sailing time, but it has to be done, as school comes first till it's done. But don't fret, I will still be racing on the weekends, just on Sunday, and if it's a 3 day regatta, on Friday as well.

On the plus side, the Summer hold great things for me. I am in the planning stages of going to Germany to see family, and will also be doing Kieler Woche, which is the biggest regatta in the world. I will also hopefully be doing the U.S. Laser National Championship over summer, I'm a bit unsure about that one because I might be transferring to a new college next fall, and I don't know when they start, but I should be fine.

I took the boat to the shop when break started to get some work done, so I haven't sailed at all over break, but I havn't really had the time anyways, been very busy. I should be getting my boat back in a couple of weeks. But In preparation for Kiel and US Nationals, I ave been hitting the gym three times a week. Kiel is a major regatta, I need to get stronger, and gain at least 10 to 15 pounds, as is blows like snot there.

I'm also working on some funding with my YC and a donation fund, which I will keep you all posted on. There also might be another sponsorship coming my way.

Good News All Around- 2/2

Since I wrote last my household has been full of good news. It was looking sketchy for awhile, but I was finally able to secure a place to stay for Kiel. I'm still working out the details, but at least I have a place. And I'm also in the process of getting my boat. Overall I'm looking pretty good for Kiel, so stoked!

And it was my 21st birthday, yay me...

I also got my boat back from Tony the other day, and he did a good job getting her back to fighting shape. Dirty little bugger though....... I think I'll wash her next weekend, and put my site's stickers on the sides, make her look all pretty...

New Look- 2/12

With the help of my Mom, I finally got the website logo on to the side of the hull on Saturday, and it looks most excellent! The pictures are a bit dark, but I'm sure you get the idea.

*please see blog for image, I couldn't attach, maybe you could do it Merrily?

SCYA Midwinters-2/12

SCYA Midwinters are next weekend, and Lasers are at Newport Harbor. Thankfully I have the weekend off from math class as it's Presidents Day Weekend. I'm still unsure as to whether or not I'll race, as I am totally exhausted, and my left shoulder is giving me a bit of trouble. But I'll probably turn in the race form today as I'll be up there anyways. I'll probably race, it's been awhile, and I could use the practice.

Not Again...- 2/13

My shoulder is flaring up again, so I made an appointment with my Doc for tomorrow to get this sorted out, and maybe have to do something Physical Therapy again. It could be another torn rotator cuff, or something of the sort. I've always have shoulder issues, but I want to get this fixed before Kiel and the Baltic Spring Cup. I'll keep you updated.

Pop and Lock- 2/15

Unfortunately I won't be sailing this weekend as my old shoulder problems have come back. As the doctor says, I am to bloody flexible,as in risk dislocation flexible, while its a wicked cool party trick, its still bad news all around. I'm apparently super flexible in my shoulders, hips, elbows, and and hand/fingers. And it actually turns out that I've technically been dislocating my shoulders and hip all along, and I've always just thought I've been popping them...(Pop and Lock Baby! http://youtube.com/watch?v=BKyfWY8uEjs ok not quite...) So back to Physical Therapy I go for a month or so.. Hopefully this time I'll remember to do the exercises for good.. But either way I gotta get back in shape for Baltic and Kiel. I just need to be ready for Laser Midwinters West for I can said Friday and Sunday ( bloody math class keeps me from sailing Saturday), I at least need to keep my appearances up...

In other news, I've been getting my bowman's harness ready for the season. For my birthday I received the new version the Spinlock Harness, its very cool, gotta say thanks to the parents for that, thanks Mum and Dad! http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d297000/e295837.asp I certainly is interesting learning all about carbiners and how their rated and spec'd, and dear God are they expensive! I advise everyone to stay at the back of the boat just because of how expensive all this stuff is, it has to be replace every couple of years just for safety!

For my three readers that read my blog ( I see you reading this Conan O'Brien!) you will have read me talking about the Baltic Sprint Cup. Thank to my amazing Godfather Don, he has hooked me up with his friend, the Commodore David Aisher, of the Royal Ocean Racing Club, and I will be racing on his Yeoman XXXII, and with any luck will join then for the full duration of the race. More to come on this later. http://www.balticsprintcup.com/

The Yeoman:

*please see blog for image, I couldn't attach, maybe you could do it Merrily?

Thats enough for today, my shoulder hurts just sitting here, time to go ice it.

Show Me The Money!!! -2/23

I've started my Physical Therapy for my shoulder and things are going well so far, both are pretty sore, but my therapist is like a bloody slave driver, and working me hard. So I should be ok for Laser Midwinters West, except for having to miss Saturday because of math class, it should be a great regatta, and I really look forward to getting back out again as I haven't sailed since Turkey Day.

I am also still working on firming up my Europe Trip. I think I have the flight reservations figured out, and I am desperately trying to get in touch with SailCoach for a charter boat. Thankfully accommodations are taken care of.

It's also a good thing I didn't go to NHYC for SCYA Midwinters as no Lasers showed up. I would have had to go to MBYC, which is a trip I was not exactly ready to make.

I also set up my budget for the year and for Europe, and I must say that the numbers are a bit scary, even though they might be a bit conservative. I'm just thankful that I'm not campaigning a Finn yet. Hopefully after submitting my budget to my Yacht Club, they will further consider helping me out, and set up a tax deductible donation fund, so all my supporters can help me out.

Yearly Budget:

Coaching: $500

Equipment:

-Sail Complete (Sail, Battens, Numbers, Sail Bag): $900
-Top Section: $250
-Lines and Blocks Etc: $300

Regatta Entry: $400

Sailing Gear: (Clothing) $600

Campaign Development: (Website Upkeep, Campaign Related Items): $300

Repairs: (Boat Repairs and Clothing Alterations): $300

Miscellaneous and Emergency: $1000

Total: $4550

Kiel Week and Baltic Sprint Cup:

Equipment: Same as above

Living: (Food and Accommodations): $1000

Travel: (Plane, Train, Bus, Baggage Charges): $1600

Boat Charter: $1000

Regatta Entry: $165

Charter Insurance: ?

Sailing Gear: (Clothing):

Baltic: $1600

Kiel: $300

Emergency Funds: $1000

Total: $7565

stop the press!

I have a question.

I see your budget for racing per year includes a new top section. Dunno about in the U.S., but here they come with a bright orange sticker that implies they are more likely to break or bend permanently when new, before they become work hardened.

Has any lab testing be done to prove how long it takes for a top section to reach optimum hardness and how long before either bending performance drops off or risk of breakage through being over brittle increases?

I'm sure, given that laser sailing is riddled with myth and legend that people will say, hell, just replace every year. But is it really necessary?

(Opportunity here for dyed in the wool laser defenders to argue how much ILCA need our cash and we should just buy buy buy regardless)

If you've ever tried to get your insurance company to pay out on broken spars and torn sails, you'll know they will argue both ways at once:

that new soft spars are dangerous because they break.

and old hard spars are dangerous because they break.

but your spar must be a bit old to reduce the chances of breakage, but on the other hand they give out new spars with new sails in an effort to avoid breakages.

laser say their spars will not usually break, but you should expect them to break, and they cannot be held responsible regardless of anything breaking ever.

:confused:

Best wishes on your campaign, Ross. I'll check into attaching the picture you mention. Sort of cross eyed from drinking wine at a sailing party tonight. Tomorrow. G'night!

I dunno.........

I just know I'm due for a new one, as my two top sections are not as straight as they could be, and are a couple of years old..

*Thanks Merrily, hope you feel better in the morning!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_VfrSm6IR8Ys/R7Z-ihprtcI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/SXt1m9CQX1c/s1600-h/Yeoman+XXXII.bmp

The Yeoman
Yeoman%2BXXXII.bmp

OK, can everyone see the picture? Thing is, I'm not sure I know how to do pictures, either.

...Can you see the picture that I placed in the post?...
Yup. I see them all, Merrily.

Ross, ask Sarah F., how much she did spend for food etc at Kiel 2007. Most sailing gear (non Laser parts) you get at Kiel. They allways have a small exhibition for sailing gear at Schilksee or at downtown Kiel at aw-niemeyer you get sailing gear, too. Laserparts you also get from Hamburg from the Laser dealer. There is a small [URL="http://www.aquashop.de/shop/default.htm?laser_zubehoer.htm]Laserstore[/URL] at Kiel, but they are expensive. Also think about the fact, that the "US$ to Euro"-ratio is very bad for US citizens. The more you get to Kiel from home, the more $ you save. Try to sell several sailing-stuff aft the final races and get some profit from that. A DVD with a TV documentaion (in GER language) about Kiel Week 2007 is just since Friday on the way to Scott, perhaps he makes a copy for you.

LooserLu

One Step Closer...-2/24

SailCoach called today, and they still have a boat for us, so we just have to pay them and we're good to go. Nice to get this monkey off my back, just gotta take care of the other nasty buggers......

Show Me The Money!!! -2/23

I've started my Physical Therapy for my shoulder and things are going well so far, both are pretty sore, but my therapist is like a bloody slave driver, and working me hard. So I should be ok for Laser Midwinters West, except for having to miss Saturday because of math class, it should be a great regatta, and I really look forward to getting back out again as I haven't sailed since Turkey Day.

I am also still working on firming up my Europe Trip. I think I have the flight reservations figured out, and I am desperately trying to get in touch with SailCoach for a charter boat. Thankfully accommodations are taken care of.

It's also a good thing I didn't go to NHYC for SCYA Midwinters as no Lasers showed up. I would have had to go to MBYC, which is a trip I was not exactly ready to make.

I also set up my budget for the year and for Europe, and I must say that the numbers are a bit scary, even though they might be a bit conservative. I'm just thankful that I'm not campaigning a Finn yet. Hopefully after submitting my budget to my Yacht Club, they will further consider helping me out, and set up a tax deductible donation fund, so all my supporters can help me out.

Yearly Budget:

Equipment:

-Sail Complete (Sail, Battens, Numbers, Sail Bag): $900
-Top Section: $250
-Lines and Blocks Etc: $300

Regatta Entry: $400

Sailing Gear: (Clothing) $600

Campaign Development: (Website Upkeep, Campaign Related Items): $300

Repairs: (Boat Repairs and Clothing Alterations): $300

Miscellaneous and Emergency: $1000

Total: $4550

I'm wondering about your budget. All of your gear should be 110% ready to go at thsi point and your regatta schedule does not look very aggressive.

What kind of clothing do you need at this point? Having sailed the boat for a few years you should have that gear sorted out as well as your rigging.

Are you going to buy 2 new sails? Your current schedule only supports 1 new sail for the whole year and based on your activity in 2007 your current sail should not be to rough.

Lines, block, maintenance? You just got her out of the shop unless you get t-boned your spending here should be $0.

I think you can get by on way less. I'd budget much higher for travel expenses like food, gas, lodging. If you are planning on traveling anywhere other than Kiel.

don't worry about my budget, you should not be concerned with how I spend my money

this is exactly why I worry about posting my life on places where people can comment, because I get people that pick it apart, I do this to keep track of what I've done, and so if people choose to do the same thing, they can compare notes, not for people to belittle me

Yup. I see them all, Merrily.

Ross, ask Sarah F., how much she did spend for food etc at Kiel 2007. Most sailing gear (non Laser parts) you get at Kiel. They allways have a small exhibition for sailing gear at Schilksee or at downtown Kiel at aw-niemeyer you get sailing gear, too. Laserparts you also get from Hamburg from the Laser dealer. There is a small [URL="http://www.aquashop.de/shop/default.htm?laser_zubehoer.htm]Laserstore[/URL] at Kiel, but they are expensive. Also think about the fact, that the "US$ to Euro"-ratio is very bad for US citizens. The more you get to Kiel from home, the more $ you save. Try to sell several sailing-stuff aft the final races and get some profit from that. A DVD with a TV documentaion (in GER language) about Kiel Week 2007 is just since Friday on the way to Scott, perhaps he makes a copy for you.

LooserLu

Thanks Ludwig, I will look into that

don't worry about my budget, you should not be concerned with how I spend my money

this is exactly why I worry about posting my life on places where people can comment, because I get people that pick it apart

Just trying to help you be realistic. It will go a long way in helping you get donations or support from your club if the budget makes sense.

Also, if folks are going to give you money they will want to see an aggressive schedule with you being on the water, in a Laser, at big events. That's what their dollars will be going toward. They are not paying for you to be a part time weekend warrior they will want to see you competing at a level that is consistant with winning an olympic berth or at least going aggressively in that direction.

If you post things you have to expect people to comment on it.

BTW. I'd budget for 2 new top sections. Especially if your other 2 are already bent.

did you notice my big emergency fund?

And as I said before, I am a FULL TIME STUDENT TAKING SATURDAY CLASSES!

this is exactly why I worry about posting my life on places where people can comment, because I get people that pick it apart, I do this to keep track of what I've done, and so if people choose to do the same thing, they can compare notes, not for people to belittle me

Hi Ross,

Having met Rob B, I can positively assure you that he is not attempting to belittle you. His comments are meant as constructive criticism to help you be successful with your goal.

I am sure he has good intentions. I have reasons for the decisions I make, and I do not want to have to defend myself every time I post something.

OK. Maybe I'm confused. I think you want to do an olympic campaign, but it looks like now is not the time for that since you have a heavy school schedule.

I guess it throws me a bit to see you post a decent sized budget, but you don't have time to sail because of the course load. I've been there and understand that. I'm guessing your plan is to hit it hard after you graduate.

You're keil trip alone is worthy of it's own blog spot. How about you focus on that and let us know how the organization of that trip comes along and of course the trip itself? That could be some really interesting stuff with everything that is involved in the events you will sail while you are there. I can imagine the rock stars you'll run into as well.

Rob, if you don't like the way I do things, I think it's best you look the other way. This semester is rough on me because of my Saturday class, and next year this should be more normal, and after I graduate, I plan to spend all my time in Europe and Oceania. All of this has been covered before, and this is the last time it will be covered.

Merrily, this thread is obviously not going to work for some people, lets consider getting rid of it.

stop the press!

I have a question.

I see your budget for racing per year includes a new top section. Dunno about in the U.S., but here they come with a bright orange sticker that implies they are more likely to break or bend permanently when new, before they become work hardened.

Has any lab testing be done to prove how long it takes for a top section to reach optimum hardness and how long before either bending performance drops off or risk of breakage through being over brittle increases?

I'm sure, given that laser sailing is riddled with myth and legend that people will say, hell, just replace every year. But is it really necessary?

(Opportunity here for dyed in the wool laser defenders to argue how much ILCA need our cash and we should just buy buy buy regardless)

If you've ever tried to get your insurance company to pay out on broken spars and torn sails, you'll know they will argue both ways at once:

that new soft spars are dangerous because they break.

and old hard spars are dangerous because they break.

but your spar must be a bit old to reduce the chances of breakage, but on the other hand they give out new spars with new sails in an effort to avoid breakages.

laser say their spars will not usually break, but you should expect them to break, and they cannot be held responsible regardless of anything breaking ever.

:confused:
New spars are more likely to take on a permanent bend but they are not more liukely to break. Older spars might be stiffer but also more likely to break rather than bend.

Realize, we are talking about aluminum....The same stuff we use for airplane wings. The number of repetitions to which we subject Laser spars is negligible.

Ross, not "belittling you" just some constructive advise. Top end coaches are getting $750 to $1000 per day. Even basic coaches get $250+/- day ..You sure won't get much for $500 for entire season. If you want some budgeting ideas for a full-blown camapign (after yer out of school) check out some of the 470 campaigners websites at
http://www.470na.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7 . Scott

Yea I honestly had no idea with that one, as I will probably not be getting coaching for whole days/regattas. I will mostly just get coaching before regatta for tuning up, for an hour or two at a time. At my point, and at it being this early before 2012, and 2016, I don't find it necessary to go to every regatta with a coach, this will mostly likely change after college, especially in Europe

New spars are more likely to take on a permanent bend but they are not more liukely to break. Older spars might be stiffer but also more likely to break rather than bend.

Realize, we are talking about aluminum....The same stuff we use for airplane wings. The number of repetitions to which we subject Laser spars is negligible.

Well now there's another element I left out. So the alloy we use for tops sections shouldn't break often, at all?

Many many anecdotal theories around everything in this game. That's why I'm waiting for someone to do their PhD in sport science on something like this.

Rob, if you don't like the way I do things, I think it's best you look the other way. This semester is rough on me because of my Saturday class, and next year this should be more normal, and after I graduate, I plan to spend all my time in Europe and Oceania. All of this has been covered before, and this is the last time it will be covered.

Merrily, this thread is obviously not going to work for some people, lets consider getting rid of it.

RossB, good on you for drawing the line but don't fight and run. Fight or flight. Just choose one. :D

We know about some of you physical limitations. We know about your schooling. Most of all we know you've decided to make a run at it. Good. You're likely to get heaps of shit on here and on your blog and in real life. In my bid just to reach the top of local racing I'm kicked down, pissed on, spat on, bad mouthed, misrepresented and mostly ignored. Understand now that what you are doing is the big league. When you come out the other side the person you'll be will reflect how you dealt with the situations that were thrown at you and the ones you got into yourself. Sailing is life. Carry a big stick, know when to use it and smile as much as you can.

“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”

~ Winston Churchill

Jeez. Don't kill the thread. I thought I had some decent questions, but whatever. I'll be looking for the kiel stories. They should be good.

Should I allow this free plug?? :D

It's Scott, he's cool in my book.

I'm in year 2 of college. If I get accepted to my college of choice to transfer next fall, I should only have 2 more years, 3 at the most.

Now you can't give up this easily Ross! If I had your will there wouldn't even be a TLF!! In the early days the nay-sayers out numbered the supporters of this new "web email forum stuff" by a landslide. In those days, the class and lasering was discussed on the mailing list not on the web. There was a lot of heated debate on here and on the list about where was the right place to talk. Now, more than 5 years down the road, we have more than 7000 registered members and the successful model has been used for other classes such as the Sunfish, Capri14, and 470. So my point is, don't give up, there will be though times but it will only make you stronger! I know I learned more during that first year of managing the ILCA-NA Forum that quickly became The (independent) Laser Forum than any other period.

Also, as a side note, the ILCA-NA mailing list was absorbed by TLF a few years ago and still runs at laser @ laserforum.org.

Bradley You should see the comments I just received on my site, I opened up the comments for 20 minutes to see what would happen, and I can't even repeat here what was said, very childish, crude, and rude. There are obviously people that hate me, and the one thing I hate about forums/ internet is that people can stand behind a fake name and get away with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back