Ross Bennett's Olympic Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it interesting how the Canadians seemed to rule the top 10.

sounds like theyve been training really fricken hard, and also have a critical mass of decent guys that all practice together in vancouver. they live and breathe laser sailing and go to all the regattas. they live in a very cold place but many go live in cabarete in domican republic all winter and train in 25+ with swell and 80 degree water. they are true die hards that would literally live on a beach underneath their laser in order to be able to sail. they are a true team that helps each other out, and fosters the group to grow together as sailors.

now that is an olympic campaign!

ps- brad funk told me how much he weighs, and it isnt much more than 168, and he didnt do too shabby when it blew 30 on city front. sorry but it aint about weight

sounds like theyve been training really fricken hard, and also have a critical mass of decent guys that all practice together in vancouver. they live and breathe laser sailing and go to all the regattas. they live in a very cold place but many go live in cabarete in domican republic all winter and train in 25+ with swell and 80 degree water. they are true die hards that would literally live on a beach underneath their laser in order to be able to sail. they are a true team that helps each other out, and fosters the group to grow together as sailors.

now that is an olympic campaign!

ps- brad funk told me how much he weighs, and it isnt much more than 168, and he didnt do too shabby when it blew 30 on city front. sorry but it aint about weight

No doubt about them working for it. Cabarete is on my bucket list. I've competed against Ari a few times. He's a good guy. I feel like a champ when I can hang with him in the breeze.

I thought you were referring to Ross being a little overweight. I agree being 160 lbs is not one of his issues. I've seen many hot Laser sailors handle a full rig VERY well in big breeze and they only weigh 160-165.

No doubt about them working for it. Cabarete is on my bucket list. I've competed against Ari a few times. He's a good guy. I feel like a champ when I can hang with him in the breeze.

I thought you were referring to Ross being a little overweight. I agree being 160 lbs is not one of his issues. I've seen many hot Laser sailors handle a full rig VERY well in big breeze and they only weigh 160-165.

ha, i know i wanna hit that regatta up this winter down there. do you know the dates?
its funny, when yur gettin smoked at a big regatta you get so stoked over the dumbest thing like funk having to duck you once, or hanging with the good guys for a leg.

yeah no, alls i was saying that its about fitness level, not weight at the low end. theres been successful laser sailors with frames in all sorts of shapes and sizes. no one can change the bone structure that theyre born with but our bodies can be significantly modified by what we eat and what we do in the gym. the results at the highest levels prove that the weight argument is moot... light people have a significant weight/power advantage downwind, and upwind the opposite is true upwind

young people in that area of the states tend to not respect the rules much, which is where ross is coming from. a canadian that was a stickler for the rules didnt see it that way...

Your little pond has it's old people rule 69 apologist so the two areas cancel each other out.

ha, i know i wanna hit that regatta up this winter down there. do you know the dates?
its funny, when yur gettin smoked at a big regatta you get so stoked over the dumbest thing like funk having to duck you once, or hanging with the good guys for a leg.

yeah no, alls i was saying that its about fitness level, not weight at the low end. theres been successful laser sailors with frames in all sorts of shapes and sizes. no one can change the bone structure that theyre born with but our bodies can be significantly modified by what we eat and what we do in the gym. the results at the highest levels prove that the weight argument is moot... light people have a significant weight/power advantage downwind, and upwind the opposite is true upwind

Check here for the schedule- www.caribwind.com

Your little pond has it's old people rule 69 apologist so the two areas cancel each other out.

It's not just that area. I've found in general at open events the younger folks show less respect for the rules and that is why I prefer Masters events.

That said there are a few masters out that that will try to pull the wool over your eyes if you let them!

Either way, I do tend to let little "bumps" around the starting line go and when I have to make a small duck for a port tacker I'll let that go too, but make sure they know they owe me one.

However, if I "bump" someone and they want me to do a turn I'll do it. They are not a wanker, just following the rules to the letter and there is nothing wrong with that.

It's not just that area. I've found in general at open events the younger folks show less respect for the rules and that is why I prefer Masters events.

That said there are a few masters out that that will try to pull the wool over your eyes if you let them!

Either way, I do tend to let little "bumps" around the starting line go and when I have to make a small duck for a port tacker I'll let that go too, but make sure they know they owe me one.

However, if I "bump" someone and they want me to do a turn I'll do it. They are not a wanker, just following the rules to the letter and there is nothing wrong with that.

this is not vietnam... there are rules here, dude.

little bumps happen, and if the other person is in the wrong i usually wont say anything if the person is better than me (why piss a guy off that will probably have the opportunity to tack on you, either that race or later in the regatta?) but if the person is a chopper and you have the opportunity to make them do circles, i usually request they do. one less boat in my way. simple as that.

to call someone out for enforcing the rules on you is absurd. ross should have the utmost respect for his competitors, as they own his ass on the racecourse for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back