Roof racking or trailering... Vote for which you like best?

Vote which method you prefer: Roof racking or trailering

• Total voters
Had too much trouble when I was tired after sailing.
Have added a winch and thinking of other modifications.

Had to get help to load.

Last edited:
Loaded it onto the top of the Tundra topper by tying the winch line to the front of the hiking strap.
Then turned the boat over.
Cranked the bow off the ground, then lifted it onto the t bar. Pushed the boat over the cunningham clamcleat.
Cranked the boat up further.
Pushed again.
Cranked, pushed and tied it down.

I don't recommend this for everyone with a Laser, but it worked for me.
If I get tired of this method I will try the Nautec Kayak Lifter from Rhino Rack.
which is said to be good for up to 80 kgs.

Voodoo 158546

Hard hiking at the end of a 3hr race, killer
Lolz, when I ever went anywhere I'd get the missus to help throw the boat on and found it a great excuse to break the ice with strangers wherever I ended up...

I didn't care, anyone passing would get collared " ere mate / luv / officer...grab the end of that will ya"

Added a winch to the upright of the t-loader, a block above that and another to the center of the front rack bar.
With the laser in the water I tie the line to the hiking strap. Then crank and push the bow over the cross bar of the loader.
Then crank and push until it is on top. It hump the boat a bit to get the deck hardware over the padded rails of the rack. The angle of the ramp helps.
It worked very well yesterday.

Bradley

Administrator
Staff member
I have reopened the poll at the top of this thread. It's about a year old, but I think we can keep collecting opinions.

Ghost Rider

Planing into eternity...
Cartopping isn't bad when you're young & strong, you can save money on buying a trailer, paying registration fees, maintaining the trailer, etc. Like the one hand, I would just sandbag passersby down at the launch site... Glorietta Bay Park was right next to NAB Coronado and the Seal Team Barracks, so there were usually fit lads passing by, and they'd help flip the boat on or off the car, no worries. I didn't even have a roof rack, I just threw a thick blanket atop the car and lashed the boat in place, with the spars jutting from the shotgun window like some medieval lance, LOL. Had to be careful with those spars: if I'd ever hit anything with the lance tip, the rear windshield would've been blown out pronto, aye??? Meh, now I'm older and my cartopping days are over, haven't decided yet whether I want to go the trailer route or buy some sort of sailing kayak for these mountain lakes. :cool:

Sailing here can be tricky, the White Mountains often have heller breeze and the winds are shifty in the extreme, they'll keep ya on your proverbial toes, that's for sure, LOL. When I sailed Show Low Lake to check out the Bald Eagles' nest, the wind was gusting up to thirty knots and the surface chop kicked up something fierce... made for some wet sailing but I got to see the birds, so I was happy. Now that I'm in my mid-50s and one shoulder & knee are permanently thrashed, not to mention the early-onset arthritis, I've decided to either reduce sail area or (gasp!) go the power wank route... not much effort required to twist a throttle. When I was young and bulletproof, I could hike out all day and still throw the boat atop the car no problem, but old age is creeping up on me, LOL. :eek:

When I first arrived in Show Low, I bought a fat pool-riding stick from the local skate shop so I could ride the skatepark and relive some of my youth, right? I actually ripped a few frontside grinders at age 55, full-on double-nickel dinosaur action, but I also picked up a nasty hipper (lasted a week) and slammed my shoulder which was already messed up (that one took a month to go away). Wound up giving the expensive skate to some kid before I broke my friggin' neck, LOL... he'll get more use out of it than I would. Funny thing, when I was young, safety gear was the hallmark of the kook, now I won't ride without full pads, helmet, wrist guards, gloves, etc.---I still ride my adult BMX bike at the park, you understand, just carving the bowls at high speed, no circus tricks like I did in the past, those are too darned dangerous. ;)

ANYWAY, IF YOU'RE YOUNG & FIT, CARTOPPING IS A GOOD WAY TO GET THE BOAT DOWN TO THE WATER, AND YOU CAN LAUNCH EVEN WHEN THE BOAT RAMP IS CROWDED. :confused:

LaLi

Hard to see how the pole is supported in the video Piero posted. Does it stand on a plate under the car wheel?

Then there's this Polish system:
Can't find the price now but I have a memory that it sounded relatively expensive. Seems to work nicely anyway.

a great excuse to break the ice with strangers wherever I ended up...

I didn't care, anyone passing would get collared " ere mate / luv / officer...grab the end of that will ya"
Exactly. Everywhere there is always someone who is not only willing to help, but does it rather enthusiastically!

I've always considered trailers a pain.

And when I can't lift a Laser anymore, then it's time to quit sailing a Laser.

Rob B

I talked to a boat repair guy and he said the metal gunwale supports on the kitty hawk type trailers can damage the boat, I think it all depends on how far you trailer the boat and what type of surface you drive on,

For short trips like going to practice I like to put my dolly on the trailer so I can go singlehanded, there are a few different methods but they all seem to work well

for longer trips I usually trailer the hull upside down on the trailer with sufficient padding to absorb shock, so I use some foam padding under the deck where it contacts the trailer, then put soft padding under the straps to again spread the load out and protect the hull from scratches, this has worked pretty well

I've got more dings on my lasers from car topping, sometimes because there are protruding eyes in the racks or just the fact that its tough to load on some cars, It also seems to take alot more time to tie it down,

the laser fits pretty well in pickup bed's, even the shorter 6ft beds work, you can also fit two lasers on a pickup pretty easily, I've done that a bunch of times

I'd like to see proof of this. Perhaps if you don't tie the boats down, but otherwise I'm calling BS. I've owned both the Kitty Hawk and Trailex trailers. Put 1,000's of miles on both over various hulls. Never one bit of damage or stress crack. The rubber rail protectors on the trailer can leave residue under the gunnel but that's it.