Ronstan battlestick install question

Walter Cotting

Got a Ronstan extendabe battlestick extension to replace the original short wooden one. The battlestick has two screw mounting holes. I was going to cut the main tiller back an inch to remove the section with the single hole. The problem is the top surface of the tiller is rounded and not a good surface for the flat extension base. I could mill the top flat where the tiller mounts. Another option would be to attach it to the side of the tiller which is wider and flat.
Any advice?

Yes, it has the flexible rubber joint and a mounting base with cover. See attached photo.
battlestick.jpg

Ronstan should have given you a plastic spacer that is rounded on one side and flat on the other to make a good fit between your rounded tiller handle and the flat universal fitting. Contact Ronstan. If you can't find one , contact me at [email protected] as I think I have a few of them in my nautical junque box.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

You could notch the upper side of the tiller's end to accommodate the extension's mount. You may want to widen the end by gluing on some pieces of wood to match the width of the universal mount.
Tiller extension.jpg
Tiller.jpg

I could mill the top flat where the tiller mounts.
That's what I did, just flattened the top of my tiller out as you mentioned. I didn't know they made a curved adapter piece...
I don't think you'd want to side mount it, it would make it awkward to hold the Battlestick when on the opposite tack.

Back