Rolling new sail

Wavebass

Hi to all....first sorry for my english... :)

I need an advice: how should rolling the new sailing after use (in the
pipe)?

oll from the bottom (not parallel to panels's seam) or from the top
(parallel to panels's seam)?

ciao

w

I fold mine at the top batten, then roll it from the top down. I roll parallel to the leach so that the battens stay straight.

I roll mine from the top.
I use a drain pipe with a slot cut in it to poke the top into so that the sail rolls up snugly. I remove the battens before rolling because I use the one set for two different sails. I have also been advised that it is best to remove the battens to avoid them becoming stuck in the pockets and to keep the tensioners in good shape.

How big of a piece of PVC should I roll my sail on? 4", 5", 6" diameter??? I would imagine the larger diameter the better.

What do you sail rollers use?

I use a piece of guttering downpipe purchased from B&Q or Homebase (in the UK). Unsire of the diameter but I would guess around 4". When you roll dont roll too tightly either and if the sail is going to be stored for a while then take it out every now and then and reverse the direction of the rolloing.

speaking of sails. i am about to buy a new standard sail but cant make up my mind between hyde or north sails. hyde is more expensive. but other than that i dont know which one is better. anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks for the good advice!

Is your rolling tube the same length as the foot of the sail (~9 feet)?

They come in 3m lengths, I just bought one of those, rolled the sail how I wanted it and marked the tube leaving an overlap of a few inches at each end and then cut the tube down.

The only issue I found was that some long sail bags come with a rubberised inner coating (notably the Rooster one) which makes it a right pain to get the sail in (I turned mine inside out). The standard blue Laser long bags are ok though.

Back