Roller furler problem

Vic Roy

I have a Harken roller furler and this week it quit working - no spring tension and it is binding. I have taken it off the boat and cannot find a model number or any other identifying mark whatsoever on it. The top drum is stamed "Harken", "USA", "Pat. Pend" and the trademark "r"....it also has a paper label on the top drum with the Harken logo. I looked on the Harken site but could not figure out which model this is. It was on my 1988 14.2 when I got it this summer.

I guess the spring is busted? I don't have the proper snap ring pliers to take the thing apart yet. Any hints folks?

Thanks,

Vic

I have a used Mod 2 that came with a Harken roller furler that I assume is stock. Mike does not have a spring (come to think of it, I don't think any boat with a roller furler that I've sailed had a spring-loaded roller furler). In any event, mine has a small line attached to the drum. When I unfurl, I just pull on the jib sheet and the line rolls up onto the drum as the sail unfurls. When I furl, I pull on the line and it turns the drum and wraps up the jib.

Thanks....geezzz, I just assumed it had a spring like an outboard recoil starter but come to think of it the spring's not necessary since you are pulling it in and out with eitheer the jib sheet or the control line on the drum......I guess I out-thunk me-self? I'll get some snap ring pliers today and take it apart and see why its binding.

Thanks again,

Vic

Upon further review.....the furler is bent, probably a casualty of my beginner scrapes with bulkheads, docks, trees, etc. Probably ruined. Any ideas on a good place to buy a new one?

Thanks,

Vic, the sheepish.....

I have a used Mod 2 that came with a Harken roller furler that I assume is stock. Mike does not have a spring (come to think of it, I don't think any boat with a roller furler that I've sailed had a spring-loaded roller furler). In any event, mine has a small line attached to the drum. When I unfurl, I just pull on the jib sheet and the line rolls up onto the drum as the sail unfurls. When I furl, I pull on the line and it turns the drum and wraps up the jib.

This is how mine works.

I have had the line roll all the way into the drum when unfurling though...be careful that the string (jib halyard?) is long enough so that you can furl your jib quickly.

Used my new snap ring pliers to take the furler apart and it turned out the center post got cocked and some of the 45 little ball bearings got stuck. It all came apart real easily and I managed not to lose any balls. I followed the guy's instructions in the above link and put it all back together and it works good as new. Impossible to even attempt without his instructions. I laid out a dark colored towel on a table with a strong light, used magnifying glasses and some good tweezers and it was pretty easy. His tape trick is the magic that makes it work.

Anyhow, feel like I need to go buy a lottery ticket....

Vic

Vic,
I love DIY success stories, personal gratification that can't be bought or taken away :)

Thanks for sharing the experience ;)

Back