Rolled Sail Bag Alternatives

dself

I want to start rolling my sail however I don't have the bag to put it in when it is rolled. Does anybody have any suggestions on alternatives?

To be fair they really are not very expensive it is probably less hassle and perhaps cheaper to buy one than make on yourself.

I don't like the Rooster bags. You have to roll the sail really tight for it to fit. The Intensity bag is good.

I don't like the Rooster bags. You have to roll the sail really tight for it to fit. The Intensity bag is good.

You sure you have the right bag from them. I have Rooster rolled sail bags and they are really loose fit. My sail is rolled around a drainpipe sized tube and fits easily in the bag with lots of room. I'd check that you haven't got a topper bag by mistake from them.

The one thing I do not like about the Rooster bags is that they have a rubberised coating on the inside to waterproof them which, if the sail is damp, can mess up your lovely rolling. I turned mine inside out to get round this and it works well but is quite a tight fit.

they are easy to make if you've got a sewing machine, the intensity sail bag is nice, I roll my sails on a pvc pipe, then wrap a sail tie on the clew end, it makes it so it doesn't unroll in the bag, works great!

they are easy to make if you've got a sewing machine, the intensity sail bag is nice, I roll my sails on a pvc pipe, then wrap a sail tie on the clew end, it makes it so it doesn't unroll in the bag, works great!
What kind of fabric did you use?

One cool solution that I saw once was the sail wrapped around a small diameter pvc pipe and then inserted into another larger diameter pipe with drilled screw-on endcaps. If you tow your boat home like I do (I have a 50min trip on the highway to get home), the drilled endcaps allow air to be forced through the tube to dry the sail if it is still wet when rolled up. The only problem will be if it's raining during the trip home.

Back