Roll tacking a Sunfish

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Does anyone have a link to some video?
Advice on how to do this and a discussion of whether this is helpful racing upwind would be welcome as well.

PS: I have seen plenty of video on how this is done in a Laser.

Thanks!

Not taking my link.
Actually it did. Whether one sees it or not depends on what you're viewing it with - I can see these on my phone but not my computer. Wavedancer might know the reason?

(Looks very similar to rolling a Laser. The actual body movements and timing probably differ a little as the Sunfish seems to be more stable at extreme heeling angles.)

and a discussion of whether this is helpful racing upwind would be welcome as well!

Roll tacking is the only way successful racers tack until it gets really windy. By rolling, you are forcing the sail to stay full for quite a ways through the tack. And after you tack, you are heeling quite a bit and get some acceleration as you flatten the boat on the new tack. When it is really windy the boat tends to roll through the tack without needing to use body weight to roll it.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Jeff Linton (a much better sailor than me) demonstrates a very nice and smooth roll
Here is another good one:
but hiking the boat flat afterwards is important for that extra push. He mentions it, but doesn't do it. Also needs to duck more so the sail doesn't stop during the tack.

Now I need to go out and practice!

Last edited:
Reactions: tag

Back