Rode Hard and put away wet

Eyeper

(Caution! may contain disturbing images)

My Laser is an Irish hull, built in 1981. Since 1982 I have beach launched it. And the stones and gravel of Tomales and SF Bay have scored the hull a bit. This may look frightening and I know if I got a new one I'd take better care of it, but it is still rock solid (as is the hull/deck joint), and fast enough for me. I don't race, but a conservative estimate puts sailing days at + 1,000. I think I got a lot of bang for the buck - it was $1,300 in 1982.

Boatyard.jpg
hull.jpg

Before I sound too flippant about her bottom, I should make clear I really take care of her topsides. Spars, sails, blades, and all rigging and lines are updated, renewed and fiddled with regularly.

Last edited:
That much IS clear... I know we got off to a bad start earlier, but I'll say this, I LIKE most of your videos, they bring Laser sailing RIGHT back into my world, this modern reality where I'm marooned in the high desert in Arizona (but own my home free & clear, LOL). :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder what sort of camera/production setup you're using... Hero Cam & GoPro? I had that going on in Show Low, riding dirt bikes in the White Mountains, and riding a phat poolriding board at the Show Low Skatepark (frontside grinders at double-nickel---or age 55---go figure). :eek:

But I donated that Hero Cam to some younger & very talented skateboarders, including Native American skaters & BMX riders who RIPPED... truth be told, an old rogue dinosaur like me has a hard time keeping up with modern technology. So I donated the whole setup, and I don't regret it for a moment. :D

Anyway, over many decades of Laser sailing, I was guilty of sailing "Polynesian-style" right up onto beaches, usually in an effort to impress women (or those dudes unfamiliar with sailing). You know, loosen the rudder line, kick the rudder up a bit, and raise the daggerboard while sailing up onto the beach... :cool:

Sandy beaches, most of 'em, but the hull encountered an occasional rock or gravel, nothing large enough to rip the hull open, but enough to score gelcoat or LP paint no problem... bayshore beaches and landings through the surf on the ocean side, a little more care taken during those seaside landings, LOL. ;)

In a way, that scored hull with exposed glass and whatnot is a badge of honor... proof of action, so to speak, and I've seen my Laser hull similarly scored as a result of my own actions, but I think it might be time to address that exposed glass, LOL, including what looks like damage where the transom meets the hull. :confused:

I'd get some pretty deep scores or grooves from landing on the reefs out at Los Coronados, I'd try to choose the best spots where the exposed reefs were padded with eelgrass or kelp or whatever, but let's face it, ya can't always execute a landing WITHOUT encountering exposed reef or rock. :(

So I'd check the damage, secure the boat till the morrow, and sail home after each grand adventure... ultimately repairing whatever damage occurred on each voyage. No damage, or minor damage, no worries... but I used to overhaul my boat every winter, or I'd be asking for trouble off the northern end of Baja. :eek:

However, I should add that Laser #2069 was equally solid in construction, that hull took a beating time and time again, yet she held up over the years... partly due to my taking care of her, partly due to my learning more & more each year with regard to AVOIDING hull damage on those rocky reefs, LOL. :mad:

ANYWAY, I LIKE THE VIDEOS, AND IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE LOCAL CREW HELPING NORCALSAIL, WELL, HERE I AM HOISTING A COLD BEER IN YOUR HONOR... IT HAS BEEN COOL TO NOTE HIS PROGRESS. LEARNING & TEACHING AIN'T ALWAYS EASY... JUST GOTTA KEEP AT IT. :rolleyes:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK... MIGHT WANNA TEND TO THAT HULL THOUGH, LOL. IT LOOKS COOL IN THE HARDCORE LOCAL SENSE, BUT AT SOME POINT IT BECOMES A MARINE SAFETY ISSUE. CHEERS!!! :cool:

Last edited:
That much IS clear... I know we got off to a bad start earlier, but I'll say this, I LIKE most of your videos, they bring Laser sailing RIGHT back into my world, this modern reality where I'm marooned in the high desert in Arizona (but own my home free & clear, LOL). :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder what sort of camera/production setup you're using... Hero Cam & GoPro? I had that going on in Show Low, riding dirt bikes in the White Mountains, and riding a phat poolriding board at the Show Low Skatepark (frontside grinders at double-nickel---or age 55---go figure). :eek:

But I donated that Hero Cam to some younger & very talented skateboarders, including Native American skaters & BMX riders who RIPPED... truth be told, an old rogue dinosaur like me has a hard time keeping up with modern technology. So I donated the whole setup, and I don't regret it for a moment. :D

Anyway, over many decades of Laser sailing, I was guilty of sailing "Polynesian-style" right up onto beaches, usually in an effort to impress women (or those dudes unfamiliar with sailing). You know, loosen the rudder line, kick the rudder up a bit, and raise the daggerboard while sailing up onto the beach... :cool:

Sandy beaches, most of 'em, but the hull encountered an occasional rock or gravel, nothing large enough to rip the hull open, but enough to score gelcoat or LP paint no problem... bayshore beaches and landings through the surf on the ocean side, a little more care taken during those seaside landings, LOL. ;)

In a way, that scored hull with exposed glass and whatnot is a badge of honor... proof of action, so to speak, and I've seen my Laser hull similarly scored as a result of my own actions, but I think it might be time to address that exposed glass, LOL, including what looks like damage where the transom meets the hull. :confused:

I'd get some pretty deep scores or grooves from landing on the reefs out at Los Coronados, I'd try to choose the best spots where the exposed reefs were padded with eelgrass or kelp or whatever, but let's face it, ya can't always execute a landing WITHOUT encountering exposed reef or rock. :(

So I'd check the damage, secure the boat till the morrow, and sail home after each grand adventure... ultimately repairing whatever damage occurred on each voyage. No damage, or minor damage, no worries... but I used to overhaul my boat every winter, or I'd be asking for trouble off the northern end of Baja. :eek:

However, I should add that Laser #2069 was equally solid in construction, that hull took a beating time and time again, yet she held up over the years... partly due to my taking care of her, partly due to my learning more & more each year with regard to AVOIDING hull damage on those rocky reefs, LOL. :mad:

ANYWAY, I LIKE THE VIDEOS, AND IF YOU'RE ONE OF THE LOCAL CREW HELPING NORCALSAIL, WELL, HERE I AM HOISTING A COLD BEER IN YOUR HONOR... IT HAS BEEN COOL TO NOTE HIS PROGRESS. LEARNING & TEACHING AIN'T ALWAYS EASY... JUST GOTTA KEEP AT IT. :rolleyes:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK... MIGHT WANNA TEND TO THAT HULL THOUGH, LOL. IT LOOKS COOL IN THE HARDCORE LOCAL SENSE, BUT AT SOME POINT IT BECOMES A MARINE SAFETY ISSUE. CHEERS!!! :cool:

Hey Cactus - there are no "bad starts" in my Laser world - I don't race!
Appreciate your comments and queries.. I have used a combination of GoPros and a hand-held little waterproof canon SureShot. Now I have lost so many GoPros all my recent videos are the hand held, in spite of how it can get tricky to sail one-handed at times.

And NORCALSAIL is a good buddy and has the most pristine (and pretty fast) Sunfish you've ever seen.

That shot of my hull all scarred up occurred because, yes, I was fixing two little holes in the back edge at the lower transom. Done now! And going sailing tomorrow.
Cheers,

Dennis

Back