Rock Damage

norcalsail

I was looking over the boat carefully today and noticed the following. It is damage from when I first put in at Lake Sonoma. This got worse from bad transportation support on my part. The damage is where the side meets the bottom of the hull. The pictures did not turn out too well and I can take more in the morning. Probably, I need to get some basic repair materials. I want to fix this and hope to get suggestions .
Thanks-Norcalsail

Attachments

• 20180913_171341.jpg
    20180913_171341.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 20180913_171620.jpg
    20180913_171620.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20180913_171341.jpg
    20180913_171341.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 20180913_171620.jpg
    20180913_171620.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I will try a better photo... Already? This may need some fixing but probably just resin (?).
20180913_171630.jpg

Last edited:
:( Actually, I think your Sunfish took a big hit—or re-damaged an earlier hit. "Resin" is a very good glue, but it's not going to help (very long) in this case. "Spider cracks" are one thing, as you can mostly ignore them. From these pictures, however, I'm not going to suggest that you stop sailing! :confused: I don't know when your season ends, but such repairs I'd leave for the off-season. My bow took a hit this season that left a ½-inch hole that's now covered with a duct tape "bandage". :confused: Our New England boating season ends soon, so I'll leave that repair until Spring—when the ice is gone, the water's still too cold for safe sailing—and the sun is out. :cool:

We use two+ techniques here: if you go to the "Ultimate" 10-page repair site at this forum, below, you'll find multiple repairs and videos addressing them. The first suggestion was that he abandon his "old" Sunfish and find a better boat! :eek: Determined to learn how to fix all his boat's ills, member Whitecap soldiered onward. :cool: The many suggestions and final repairs were collected by member Whitecap. (To whom I tip my hat). :)

All of member Whitecap's aggregated repairs are typical of necessary Sunfish repairs—my most major repair included. Mine involved a big hit to the keel, and I found myself grinding deeper and deeper—until a 2-inch hole collapsed underneath my sander! :eek: In your case, I'd use the "Shoreline" technique in a video there. (I've used both repairs). But other opinions are sure to follow mine :rolleyes:. (My day just begins earlier than most sailors').

Hardware stores carry complete fiberglass kits, including gloves and thickening agents. One $35 kit should finish your repair. For bigger repairs, they're typically short on resin :oops: and generous with cloth. :confused: West Marine's $22 Rx Epoxy Repair Kit is not for structural repairs (which I think yours will turn out to be).

Link to repairs:
Starting at the BEGINNING

That’s very minor damage - likely no deeper than the gelcoat. Take a piece of 120 grit sandpaper and rough it up a bit. Then either use some white Marine Tex to fill things in, or use white gel coat. APS sells a tube of white gel coat - it’s a one part product where “real” gelcoat is 2-part but it's great for little patches like this.

With all due respect to L and V, I don’t see any way damage this small could require a fiberglass repair kit.

Sorry your brand new boat has its first bruise- I'm sure it's hard to look at. The good news is it's just that- a small blemish that can be easily repaired. Scrapes and dings are inevitable with boats and cars. I haven't tried the white gelcoat, but that sounds like the way to go. Done carefully, the repair won't even be noticeable.

I went to my local marine shop and purchased a gel coat repair kit and will watch some videos and get started on my first repair. The kit seems pretty self contained so I'm hoping it's not going to need much more. Thanks for all responses!

:( Actually, I think your Sunfish took a big hit—or re-damaged an earlier hit. "Resin" is a very good glue, but it's not going to help (very long) in this case. "Spider cracks" are one thing, as you can mostly ignore them. From these pictures, however, I'm not going to suggest that you stop sailing! :confused: I don't know when your season ends, but such repairs I'd leave for the off-season. My bow took a hit this season that left a ½-inch hole that's now covered with a duct tape "bandage". :confused: Our New England boating season ends soon, so I'll leave that repair until Spring—when the ice is gone, the water's still too cold for safe sailing—and the sun is out. :cool:

We use two+ techniques here: if you go to the "Ultimate" 10-page repair site at this forum, below, you'll find multiple repairs and videos addressing them. The first suggestion was that he abandon his "old" Sunfish and find a better boat! :eek: Determined to learn how to fix all his boat's ills, member Whitecap soldiered onward. :cool: The many suggestions and final repairs were collected by member Whitecap. (To whom I tip my hat). :)

All of member Whitecap's aggregated repairs are typical of necessary Sunfish repairs—my most major repair included. Mine involved a big hit to the keel, and I found myself grinding deeper and deeper—until a 2-inch hole collapsed underneath my sander! :eek: In your case, I'd use the "Shoreline" technique in a video there. (I've used both repairs). But other opinions are sure to follow mine :rolleyes:. (My day just begins earlier than most sailors').

Hardware stores carry complete fiberglass kits, including gloves and thickening agents. One $35 kit should finish your repair. For bigger repairs, they're typically short on resin :oops: and generous with cloth. :confused: West Marine's $22 Rx Epoxy Repair Kit is not for structural repairs (which I think yours will turn out to be).

Link to repairs:
Starting at the BEGINNING

Hey L&VW, I read through most of the repairs from Whitecap and what great work. That was two years ago and I was hoping to see his completed boat. Any idea what happened with him? I wanted to see a rehabbed boat like River Time's! I hope my repairs won't be too extensive. There is a group of single handers that sail on Tomales Bay and I had been hoping to go out and meet up with them tomorrow but the meet was canceled due to strong winds and inclement weather. These guys focus on tides, wind and weather and if I can sail with them, I will get a lot better. Plus, Tomales Bay is natural and has places to land that are soft and sandy unlike the reservoir "lakes" here in California that are rocky, steep sided and no good for stopping. For now, I will focus on repair of the Sunfish. And thank you too Beldar and Breeze Bender...

Last edited:
Pictures of your repair-progress—please. ;)

Hey L&VW, I read through most of the repairs from Whitecap and what great work. That was two years ago and I was hoping to see his completed boat. Any idea what happened with him? I wanted to see a rehabbed boat like River Time's! I hope my repairs won't be too extensive. There is a group of single handers that sail on Tomales Bay and I had been hoping to go out and meet up with them tomorrow but the meet was canceled due to strong winds and inclement weather. These guys focus on tides, wind and weather and if I can sail with them, I will get a lot better. Plus, Tomales Bay is natural and has places to land that are soft and sandy unlike the reservoir "lakes" here in California that are rocky, steep sided and no good for stopping. For now, I will focus on repair of the Sunfish. And thank you too Beldar and Breeze Bender...
He's got a "schedule" to keep, but I expect we should hear back in a week; or at least, "soon". :)

I also don’t think it’s possible that damage that’s about 1/2 inch long can be “structural”.
I didn't think a 2-inch-square damage (from striking wood) would require sanding away until getting to an "all-dark" fiberglass base—and have fiberglass breaking away and crumbling from underneath my sander. :(

P6150001.JPG

Ouch , L&VW, that hurt. Haven't started my repair but of course will know more when I sand. The damage wasn't from a hard hit though so hoping for the best...

Hi guys! I’m hiking the Rae Lakes Loop in Kings Canyon, California. Yep, this old Texan got away from his lake to join his old military buddies In the wild again (man, am I out of shape).

As for my little Sunfish (which I still sail three times a week), she has been a rejuvenating Force in my life. Thanks to this group, and all the experts here which I tip my hat to, (right back at you L&VW), I was able to take something completely broken and turn her into something safe, dry, functional, challenging, and fun. Often, My little girl and I sail out together to goat island and have a picnic!

NorCal,
I’d be happy to post finished pictures of old, “Matilda” if you’d like to see the finished project. (I’m still on the fence about making her pretty and painting her up. But now that I have a respectable understanding of how to sail her, the many dings have become very rare. Maybe it’s time to resurrect that long thread and finish her up). Please let me know how I can help anyone in this community- for, so many here have helped me.
Warm regards and following winds,
Whitecap

Getting better myself Whitecap. Met up with some guys on the Laser Forum today. We sailed on Tomales Bay Ca. and these guys know what they're doing! I was hoping to see that boat you were working on all ready to go and sailing. Got any pictures?

A week and a work trip later, and still have not got out on the water, due to weather or family constraints. I’ll get those pics soon.

Back