Rivit removal tiller extention

Robsail

Does anyone know how to remove rivits? On my tiller, where the tiller extention meets the tiller (a plastic area), is rivited... I need to remove the rivits to put a new tiller extention in. I have already tried drilling them out, but it wont budge!

Thanks
Robby

Does anyone know how to remove rivits? On my tiller, where the tiller extention meets the tiller (a plastic area), is rivited... I need to remove the rivits to put a new tiller extention in. I have already tried drilling them out, but it wont budge!

Thanks
Robby

You need to drill off the head of the rivet using a drill bit with a diameter about the same as the diameter of the rivet head. You are not trying to drill a hole in the rivet, just to remove enough material from the head to separate it from the shaft of the rivet.

It also sounds like you are trying to remove the tiller extension from its universal joint. It might be better to just remove the universal joint from the tiller itself. Tiller extensions usually come with a new universal joint, so you can just attach that to the tiller after you remove the old one.

Back