Riveted bung

I have a "quarter-turn" bung in the back of my Laser and the seal broke so I decided to order a full "screw-in" bung to replace it with - thinking that it was probably more water-tight (I have various leakage problems).

When I went to remove the old bung fitting, I found that instead of it being screwed to the boat, it is riveted. Looking at other Lasers at my club, mine appears to be the only one I can find. I am worried that if I drill out the rivets I may not be able to re-attach the new fitting with screws and/or another rivet.

Does any one have any experience with riveted bungs? Was this standard (built 1980) or a repair?

Thanks for any help/ideas
CIMG0106.jpg

It was standard, when you replace it, you can:
Fill the holes again with thickened resin and re-drill
Coat the screws with thickened resin when you put them in (semi-permanent)
Use 3M 5200, with or w/o screws (mostly permanent)

Don't use 5200 - it'll never come out.

I'd drill out the rivet, and try a slightly larger pan head screw with some 4200 or other silicone.

Why not find a bit of flat rubber and cut a new seal? If you can't find any, I'll send you a bit of pond liner that I have used before for this

Don't use 5200 - it'll never come out.

The mythical "permanence" of 5200 is just that. Between sharp putty knives and available debonding agents, it's only slightly more time consuming to remove fittings put on with it.

Back