Rivet size?

Ticktack

I want to change the aft mainsheet block on my boom to one that swivels. What size rivet is used on the eye strap?
Looks like maybe 1/8"x 1/8" SS?
Thanks!

1/8" or 3/16" diameter by 1/4" long, diameter depending on the eye strap. You can use SS but are better off with the typical aluminum. The SS if using on salt water will create corrosion with the aluminum and the aluminum will breakdown faster.

1/8" or 3/16" diameter by 1/4" long, diameter depending on the eye strap. You can use SS but are better off with the typical aluminum. The SS if using on salt water will create corrosion with the aluminum and the aluminum will breakdown faster.
Thanks so much for your reply & info.
I really didnt want remove the rivet until I had a replacement in hand but didnt know what size to order until it's removal!
Also I've been concerned about galvanic corrosion by using dissimilar metals which, like you say would dictate aluminum rivets. I was concerned about aluminum being too soft & slowly working loose.
The factory rivets seem to look like stainless steel to me, is that possible?
Thanks again!

I want to change the aft mainsheet block on my boom to one that swivels. What size rivet is used on the eye strap?
Looks like maybe 1/8"x 1/8" SS?
Thanks!

That will probably work. A longer pop-rivet will have no penalty, unlike the trim pop-rivets.

Let us know what you found.

Use aluminum, it will hold fine. I'd consider a small nylon washer between the eyestrap and the spar, esp if you are in saltwater.

Back