Rigging help in Lake Geneva, WI.

Short Sale

First time Laser sailor looking for rigging help and pointers. I crewed on Lightnings MANY years ago, so I'm not a newbie to sailing, but would really appreciate help setting new (to me) boat up. If you're in the Lake Geneva, WI. area and can help....give me a ring. 414-607-4042 (work#).
Willing to trade service out for beer and brats!

You have two truly great yacht clubs there. I'm sure you can find many teriffic Laser sailors where you live. Just go to the Geneva yc or go over to Delavan yc. Shees! Buddy Melges is your neighbor.

Geneva yc and melges were my first two contacts before posting here.(I always wanted to visit Zenda WI.) True, I did not offer beer & brats to them, or mabye I just didn't talk to the right person. Anyway....I will call Andy and skulk around Geneva and Delavan clubs while the water is warming. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

There is a one day Laser regatta at the Lake Geneva Yacht Club on Sat. May 10. It would be a good way to start your Laser career, and you will be able to get all the rigging help, etc. that you need right there.

Thanks LaserBill, I'll check it out! Rigged and Racing in two weeks sounds good to me!
Whoa! My first "skip" ever in TWO WEEKS! I need to.........gotta go!

Skippering. :)
My bad: I was being (mildly) facetious in my comment. In sailing small (and not so small) boats for years I can't remember (hardly) any times when people used that abbreviation (i.e. "Skip") to describe the person or act of steering a boat; I'm used to "driving" or "steering" and like terms. It just seemed a bit affected.

Sorry for the digression... :eek:

No worries Geoffs, the "skip" thing really didn't sound right anyway and I couldn't think of an appropriate word at that moment. I'm going with "steering" from here on out! Which makes me the "steererer" right? ;)

My bad: I was being (mildly) facetious in my comment. In sailing small (and not so small) boats for years I can't remember (hardly) any times when people used that abbreviation (i.e. "Skip") to describe the person or act of steering a boat; I'm used to "driving" or "steering" and like terms. It just seemed a bit affected.

Sorry for the digression... :eek:

I'm Captain of my Laser but if I'm in a really good mood the kids may use the dimunitve "Skip". Mind you this good mood thing doesn't happen often!

... Which makes me the "steererer" right?

I'm Captain of my Laser ...
FWIW, on a single-hander like the Laser, I generally just talk about "sailing" it... :D

To contribute to the topic of the thread: there should be lots of folks around Lake Geneva (WI!) who can help you rig and tune your boat.

If you ever want a short road-trip, head north to Madison for some great Thursday evening racing out of Warner Park: http://madisonsailingcenter.com/

Also, if you're looking for some relaxed racing/socializing, the Lake Kegonsa Sailing Club has a regatta on the 17th of May that's a lot of fun: http://lksc.org/smrace.html
This year I was looking forward to sailing my Laser again (after escaping the PRO duties), but I've been "press ganged" into pulling-jib (now, there's a good Mid-Western scow expression!) on an E-scow for that day....

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Racing in Madison could definately be in my future! What a great city! Is your avatar ice boating on Lake Mendota? You really have a "need for speed" aye Goeffs!
Anyway.....good luck on the scow.....and don't let that jib luff!

The Syttende Mai regatta on the 17th at Lake Kegonsa is always a good time. This year could have a nice Laser turnout. LKSC reports current water temperature at 1' to 2' at 53 degrees. Below 3' they list the temperature as just cold. I'm glad surface water at Lake Kegonsa is warm!

I think Pewaukee's Laser fleet, not too far north of Lake Geneva, has open sailing on Tuesday nights.

I would strongly recommend Laser sailing on Lake Mendota. Last year, a dozen or so Lasers would regularly show up for the Thursday night races.

Bill,

I am seriously considering Lake Geneva. It will probably come down to weather conditions.

David

Back