Rigging for a Porpoise

Flipdog

I recently purchase a porpoise sailboat from a local yacht club. I am looking for some rigging diagrams. Most of the diagrams I have seen show a triangular set up at the stern but my boat doesn’t have any cleats or hardware to mount such a setup. I currently have the line that runs threw the pulleys on the horizontal beam tied to the mast and the other end is not attached to anything.

On a Porpoise, the end of the mainsheet (the line that goes through the blocks on the lower boom) simply attaches to the "eye" on the top of the rudder head. Unlike the Sunfish, there is no triangular bridle on the deck neat the stern.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

A feature with a Porpoise: Tug on the mainsheet, and the tiller returns to the centerline of the Porpoise. :)

On a Porpoise, the end of the mainsheet (the line that goes through the blocks on the lower boom) simply attaches to the "eye" on the top of the rudder head. Unlike the Sunfish, there is no triangular bridle on the deck neat the stern.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Thank you for your prompt reply

I would love some help with rigging our Porpoise too. I know nothing aboit sailing and my husband thinks that the line needs to attach somewhere to the middle of the boat but there is no where to do that. We just bought this for our boys to try ans sail.
20200718_144739.jpg

I would love some help with rigging our Porpoise too. I know nothing aboit sailing and my husband thinks that the line needs to attach somewhere to the middle of the boat but there is no where to do that. We just bought this for our boys to try ans sail.View attachment 39861
A3oPtSsmJHVPDahHAYujRF43VVMlPU4UnIVb7QZP.jpeg
A3oPtSsmJHVPDahHAYujRF43VVMlPU4UnIVb7QZP.jpeg

Attached is a picture of a rigged Porpoise. I don't know anything about them personally, but from the illustration it looks very similar to the Sunfish. There are numerous YouTube videos on rigging the Sunfish, so they might be helpful.

Just FYI:

Using the same size (Sunfish) sail, my Porpoise II had only a slight disadvantage racing a Sunfish--switching captains every race. Being narrower, the Porpoise was slightly faster in diect-downwind sailing.

Quality of build was good. If the rubber gunwale bumper is still attached, a bead of superglue would be advisable. Also, same interior waterlogged-foam problem as Sunfish.

Thank you. Our question is what to do with this line? There's just a knot at the end but no where to tie it off to?

Attachments

• 20200719_101529.jpg
    20200719_101529.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200719_101506.jpg
    20200719_101506.jpg
    575.1 KB · Views: 42
Just FYI:

Using the same size (Sunfish) sail, my Porpoise II had only a slight disadvantage racing a Sunfish--switching captains every race. Being narrower, the Porpoise was slightly faster in diect-downwind sailing.

Quality of build was good. If the rubber gunwale bumper is still attached, a bead of superglue would be advisable. Also, same interior waterlogged-foam problem as Sunfish.
Thank you!

This is just for our boys to play around with on our lake but we can't figure out where to tie this line off
20200719_101506.jpg

Just FYI:

Also the cleat has been broken off does anyone know if its possible to remove the screws to replace?

Attachments

• 20200719_101450.jpg
    20200719_101450.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 30
The mainsheet goes from the forward block on the lower spar to a mainsheet block (you likely don’t have one) so it just gets held in your hands to control the sail trim.

The other end of the mainsheet goes from the other boom block to the little loop on the rudder.

Just FYI:

Using the same size (Sunfish) sail, my Porpoise II had only a slight disadvantage racing a Sunfish--switching captains every race. Being narrower, the Porpoise was slightly faster in direct-downwind sailing.

Quality of build was good. If the rubber gunwale bumper is still attached, a line of superglue would be advisable.
Also the cleat has been broken off does anyone know if its possible to remove the screws to replace?

Using a Vise-Grip, try backing-out both screws about three turns. Push down gently to see if they're both driven into the same backing board. (A good thing).

I'd replace both with bronze screws.

If they're bolts, which is possible with Porpoise, we have a different problem.

:confused:

Back