Rigging Basics: How To?

EastCoaster19

Hi. I just got my first laser -- woohoo! I'm in the process of trying to rig the boat in my backyard. For reference, I've found this great how-to (www.sailtoronto.com/PDF/Laser Rigging Basics.doc); however, I'm having difficulty figuring out how what to do with the outhaul. The used rig I have has a block at the end of the outhaul, but the How-To guide I have does not seem to.

I've attached a photo...

Can someone here help me out, or point me to another solid guide with images (online or paper will do)? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC08486.JPG
    DSC08486.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 66
Wow, that first photo really helped. I couldn't quite understand how a straight hook like these clew hooks could keep the sail from coming loose. Now I get it (I think) -- you need the clew strap to keep the sail attached to the boom, while the clew hook just pulls the sail taut laterally.
Thanks!

Just make sure you rig to hook on from the Port side if the hook pictured is a Harken. And be absolutely sure that the hook is free to rotate (around the boom) on the tie down so it always aligns with the load. Some people have come to grief by adding shockcord or tying the tie down in such a way that it opposes the natural alignment of the hook to the load - and this spells an instant disconnect that is quite awkward if facing a threatening lee shore.

cheers

Back