Rigging a jib downhaul for solo sailing

Movingmen1

I like to solo sail and have a question about getting the jib down in a stiff wind/bad weather/docking. Has anyone rigged a jib downhaul running a small diameter line from the cockpit to a swivel block at the bow and then attach it to the top hank or the head of the jib? Hoist the jib halyard as you normally would and tie it off, then cleat off the small diameter line in the cockpit. To bring it down release the jib halyard pull from the line in the cockpit? I know the self furling jib would be the best answer, just wondered if anyone had done this. Don't want to spend $400+ getting the jib done and buying the self furling system.

YES! I did this last summer and it works great. It is nice to be able to tie down the jib when not in use for short periods of time, just center both sheets and cleat the downhaul. I will try to get you a few pics of how I rigged mine later this week.

YES! I did this last summer and it works great. It is nice to be able to tie down the jib when not in use for short periods of time, just center both sheets and cleat the downhaul. I will try to get you a few pics of how I rigged mine later this week.

Thank you, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Any chance you can post some pic to see how you rigged the device? Thanks

I thought about doing a block with a spring to keep it inverted but I found this shackle was simpler and easier. I put the tack of the jib through the pin part and then I run the line down through the shackle loop. I just let me line go across the top of the bow and tuck it in my cup holder or cockpit organizer.
Sorry about delay getting pics. I will send you another set of it rigged with procedure when I get a chance, it is simple though, and does work nicely.

Attachments

• 20140913_143005.jpg
    20140913_143005.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 20140913_142624.jpg
    20140913_142624.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 181
I thought about doing a block with a spring to keep it inverted but I found this shackle was simpler and easier. I put the tack of the jib through the pin part and then I run the line down through the shackle loop. I just let me line go across the top of the bow and tuck it in my cup holder or cockpit organizer.
Sorry about delay getting pics. I will send you another set of it rigged with procedure when I get a chance, it is simple though, and does work nicely.

Did you put on larger jib hanks to get the downhaul line through them? If so, what size did you use? Thanks for your help.

Did you put on larger jib hanks to get the downhaul line through them? If so, what size did you use? Thanks for your help.
Good Day!
I also have used that rig with great success. I had a sail loft install larger brass hanks, along with reef points and slugs in the main. This made a huge difference in the ability to change configurations for differing wind conditions. And the slugs make it a lot easier to work the main and reef points. Installed a tiller lock that enables me to hoist/lower sails while underway. Small Minkota trolling motor for docking help and powering while working the sails. The only caveat to this arrangement is during heavier wind and wave conditions a solo sailor like myself really has to be at the top of his game when doing sail work. Be fast and organized. Tried an outing on Lake Michigan where calm water suddenly grew to sharp 2 foot + chop with winds to 20 which almost overpowered the Minkota and thank God I had only gotten the jib up not yet the main. Back to the now chaotic and churning launch ramp with tail between my legs!
I'm pleased with the way this arrangement has worked for my first season with Capri. When I figure out how to attach pics I will do so. also have contact info for the sail loft (located in NW Indiana) that did my mod's for a very fair price.

Back