Reviewers wanted

DavidStonePE

You go when he wind doesn’t blow. The Guppy can make that happen. It slips onto the back of the rudder and propels the boat when the tiller is moved back and forth with a swimming motion like a guppy’s tail. It folds so that it will fit in the storage compartment. It floats.

I have made several prototypes of the Guppy and tested it. You can view a video op the Guppy in action on you tube.

I am working on bringing it to market but want to get some feedback from other Sunfish sailors before I invest in setting up manufacturing. I am looking for several sailors who would test it for me. I will send you a handmade Guppy for $40 to help cover my cost of materials and shipping. I ask that you use it and give me feedback on how it worked for you, suggested improvements, and if you feel there is a market for it that would justify setting up manufacturing.

David Stone

Nicely thought out. It'd sure be nice to have one on board. :) My personal alternative mode of power is a canoe paddle. I sit on the tiller with the daggerboard down, and paddle while slightly adjusting my direction (for wind) with the tiller. Some here use "The Praddle".

The Guppy might be useful 100% of the time for beginning sailors who have those familiar difficulties while "stuck in irons". :confused: Once you've gotten in irons, you'll likely be forced backwards, and the Guppy would definitely help turn to a proper heading. :cool:

I had trouble getting out of irons with my Porpoise II, and thought of a hard rubber fin—in place of your polycarbonate fin. (The Porpoise II has the same rudder as later Sunfish). My Sunfish(es) don't seem to have that problem, but the circumstance is always "lurking out there", especially in strong winds. :oops:

My guess is that most Sunfish split their wooden rudders while traveling backwards in a shallow area, or forced backwards by surf at a beach. :( The Guppy would save a $150 replacement mahogany rudder—especially if the fin were a hard, but bendy, rubber plate. On the other hand, it might not float. :oops:

Using the Guppy full-time would also take away those awkward moments when it appears one's Sunfish is heading backwards into the rocks. :eek:

Well, I just re-read my own comment, "It'd sure be nice to have one on board" :), so I think I'll spring for one. :cool:

The hard rubber fin I was thinking of, would be something like a truck's mud flap with a built-in taper. Maybe I can find one to adapt and give it a try.

Check your in-box for Credit Card, PayPal, and other details.

Well, I just re-read my own comment, "It'd sure be nice to have one on board" :), so I think I'll spring for one. :cool:

The hard rubber fin I was thinking of, would be something like a truck's mud flap with a built-in taper. Maybe I can find one to adapt and give it a try.

Check your in-box for Credit Card, PayPal, and other details.
I am not versed in Pay Pal, I can send you one and you can send me a check. I am new to the form so do not know haw I am supposed to navigate.

I don't have 40 to spare at the moment, but like the idea.
Its basically single oar sculling. Could be the next SUP :)

I do agree with LVW that more flexibility will give better hydrodynamics. I was thinking of something like this:
upload_2015-10-2_11-27-49.png

I am not versed in Pay Pal, I can send you one and you can send me a check. I am new to the forum so do not know how I am supposed to navigate.

Please hurry, I'm changing my address in less than two weeks. :confused: Try FedEx for deliveries. I'll be happy to send a check. :)

A "print-screen" example appears below to aim you to the top of this present page. That red arrow (below) points to your Inbox. I'm thinking you're going to need it! ;) "Conversations" is how we conduct private messaging at this forum.

Fullscreen capture 1022015 124235 PM.bmp.jpg

Will it work on a Hobie Cat 17? Where would we attach it?
Using "sculling-oar", catamaran, and "Stars-and-Stripes", I didn't find any Web reference to Dennis' above reply. :confused:

With my Hobie Formula-18 catamaran, light and variable winds were frustrating as all blazes. Lacking speed while approaching a tack, you'd just sit there with your two hulls working against waves, wind, and boat wakes. :mad: The Guppy would have been very welcome at those times. :)

Using "sculling-oar", catamaran, and "Stars-and-Stripes", I didn't find any Web reference to Dennis' above reply. :confused:

With my Hobie Formula-18 catamaran, light and variable winds were frustrating as all blazes. Lacking speed while approaching a tack, you'd just sit there with your two hulls working against waves, wind, and boat wakes. :mad: The Guppy would have been very welcome at those times. :)
I have thought about this and think the design could be easily adapted to the Hobie's' rudder dimensions. If you are interested I can make one for you to try.

I have thought about this and think the design could be easily adapted to the Hobie's' rudder dimensions. If you are interested I can make one for you to try.
Thanks, but my three catamarans were sold off in the past decade—three Sunfishes are my future in sailing. :)

The Guppy arrived OK—Nicely done! :cool: It's a beautiful hand-crafted work of the machined-wood art! :) (Mahogany construction, but it looks like oak). This prototype needs only some "Loctite" on the hardware, IMHO. The enclosed pictorial instruction sheet helped me fold it back up! :confused:

But now I'm stuck. :oops: I'm a month late—arrived too late to give it a test—and have further commitments (to attend a dedication) many hour's drive further south. (Unless I can hitch a ride to return to central Florida, there'll be no more Sunfish-sailing until May, 2016). :(

In return for the requested $40, I'll pay to ship it to someone here who can evaluate it for you. If by May, 2016, further evaluation is needed, I'll order another. :)

Last edited:
Well, I did manage to get a sail-in yesterday afternoon. :) As there was no wind, this was a perfect afternoon to "road-test" the Guppy—starting from a beach start. I'd hoped to see bending action in the Lexan blade, but the blade is as clear as the water. :confused:

The wind picked up, and I worried that the Guppy would be pulled off. It could be heard gurgling behind, but stayed in place for the entire one hour "test-run". I'd suggest adding a tether with a snap. It's interesting that the one bungee cord is perfectly suited to this device. I'll find some white tape to watch its performance better—perhaps today.

In knee-deep water, I could see that the thin plastic blade does, indeed, move like a swim fin. (Although a swim fin would likely work better). Fortunately, I do have a spare swim fin that I can test next spring. :)

Back