revamping old laser

nickm.main

alright so I have a laser( which I believe is from '85 but I could be completely wrong) and because it is older is not outfited with someway to adjust the outhaul and cunningham WHILE you are sailing. My instructor down at the sialling club explained to me that you can buy a couple pulleys , some rope ,a cleat or two, and have a home made system for doing this. has anybody done this ? if so could you post some pictures of your setup ?

THX !
nick

it should be noted that I do not want to part with three hundred dollars , cause I know that they sell kits for this need precisely.

Nick,

There are several posting in the archives of this forum on line set-up etc. for example: http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/RiggingforLaser.htm

Although this is the racing set-up it will give you and idea of what is required.

Or this one shows you how to improve working ratios for the standard (non-racing set-up): http://www.wvaegir.nl/newrig_2.html

Or this one:
http://claysails.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=312&g2_page=2

Or from the parts manual for Laser:

http://www.laserinternational.org/aboutlaser/laserparts

Hope this help.

Best of luck

Ghislain

Hi Nick,

I'm in a similar boat (no pun) in that I have a standard rigged Laser with limited funds to upgrade it. You can just add 2 small blocks to the standard vang and this will make it an 8:1 purchase. I have not even had my boat in the water so I can't say from personal experience but from what I've read in this forum it makes quite an improvement over the original vang.

I did not buy an upgrade kit for the outhaul and cunningham, but I did purchase the forward deck plate with the 2 blocks and the dual cam cleats seperately. This cost me $156.00. Once I get them installed I will be ready to upgrade the outhaul and vang and sailing funds become available. From there it's just blocks and line. Just taking smaller steps to fit out the boat.

There are lots of resources on rigging options. I have seen examples where purchase systems are created by just tying loops in the line and pasing the free end through. The diagrams are caveated stating that using thimbles and/or blocks will improve efficiency. However you must also keep in mind that there are regulations so if you want to race you need to make sure your purchase system is class legal.

good luck!

Problems with easing the vang

Hello,

I've used the 8:1 vang OldDog mentioned for a about year now.
The purchase is sufficient. I'd like to emphasise that it is really important to use a swivel between mast fitting and the lower block of the vang (as suggested by many on this forum and elsewhere). This makes it easier to ease the vang.

But I still find it very difficult to ease the vang when it is under strong tension
and when the boom is out, after rounding the weather mark in strong winds for example.

I suppose this is easier with the Harken or Holt vang. Or isn't it? Should one ease the vang *before* rounding the weather mark?

Grateful for comments,

sincerely Bernhard

Re: Problems with easing the vang

Hello,

I've used the 8:1 vang OldDog mentioned for a about year now.
The purchase is sufficient. I'd like to emphasise that it is really important to use a swivel between mast fitting and the lower block of the vang (as suggested by many on this forum and elsewhere). This makes it easier to ease the vang.

But I still find it very difficult to ease the vang when it is under strong tension
and when the boom is out, after rounding the weather mark in strong winds for example.

I suppose this is easier with the Harken or Holt vang. Or isn't it? Should one ease the vang *before* rounding the weather mark?

Grateful for comments,

sincerely Bernhard

it is important to ease the vang before the windward mark im not sure why but my coach always tells me that

Re: Problems with easing the vang

it is important to ease the vang before the windward mark im not sure why but my coach always tells me that

It helps the leech twist off making the bear away much easier. What also helps is raising the board and hiking like a demon (if it is very windy) to get some windward heel on the boat (think about rudderless sailing).

Back