Retrofit with old stainless steel Gudgeon - class legal?

mange

Hi,
I have to replace broken rudder gudgeons made of plastic (on a -93 hull).
Can I replace these with older style gudgeons made of stainless steel which are from an destroyed -77 hull and still be "class legal"?

Sure, I can buy new plastic gudgeons, but I find these older s/s as better function - stiffer and hence better "rudder feeling"

/Magnus

i was going to do the same thing. so i asked the same question here and i was told it wasnt class legal.

The old stainess steel gudgeon was actually a lot weaker than the new plastic gudgeon. They were notorious for bending to one side. The worst part about that particular bending was the accompanying bend in one of both pintles. New rudder heads cost a big pile of money.
The original question confuses me... I don't really understand why anyone would want to do any of the following:
1. Spend money when he does not have to
2. Replace the plastic gudgeon as it lasts forever.
3. put in a gudgeon that bends (I'm guessing you didn't know about that part)
4. Drill more and unnecessary holes in a boat ( the mounting holes don't line up the same)
5. Have a shiny spot behind you ( I mean guys pay for Rogaine to avoid that)
6. Work on their boats when they could be sailing

1. He has to spend some money. His rudder gudgeon is broken.

2. See #1

3. Good point. That's useful info that most people don't know

4. Also good point.

5. If you put rogaine on your hull it will grow hair all over it. The only way this would ever be faster than a factory hull would be if you got all the hair to grow in the same direction, as it does on a seal. Achieving this is well beyond what the typical amateur can accomplish at home. And, it is most certainly not class legal.

6. He's got a broken gudgeon. He can't sail until he fixes it. (well, that's not strictly true -- sailing without the rudder is something most decent junior programs teach.) but I'd hate to get into a crowded starting line with no rudder.

Besides, "gudgeon" is such a cool and salty word, and buying new ones gives you a chance to say it.

Me: "Have you got any gudgeons?"

Clerk: "Aye, lad, they're stowed in the fo'c's'l."

gouvernail said:
[...]
The original question confuses me... I don't really understand why anyone would want to do any of the following:
1. Spend money when he does not have to
3. put in a gudgeon that bends (I'm guessing you didn't know about that part)
4. Drill more and unnecessary holes in a boat ( the mounting holes don't line up the same)
5. Have a shiny spot behind you ( I mean guys pay for Rogaine to avoid that)
6. Work on their boats when they could be sailing

I've already mounted new plastic gudgeons (and sailed too). Didnt know the s/s ones acually where weaker and with different hole line-up.
One thing I noticed is that the rudder pins sit little tighter in the new ones, the holes are larger in the old ones. Maybe they wear out either by friction or non-recoverable tensions in the plastic goods.
In my case ther was a substantial bending chock in the lower one caused by breaking the upper gudgeon during upwind sailing. The lower rudder pin was bent, one rivet popped out.
But still I dont understand why the upper gudgeon broke - thats former owner history.

Anyway, rudder is repaired and new gudgeons are mounted. The overall feeling is that the rudder is much better fitted, Im more direct connected with the blade, also less risk of banging the tiller into the traveler cleat.

/Magnus

PS. Rogain should be class legal in Gr.Master class DS.

gouvernail said:
T

I have experienced the plastic gudgeon breaking, actually it was on my husband's boat. I think that the sun can weaken the plastic, but it doesn't help when something falls on it. The past year or two the stern of our lasers have been facing the hot west sun and the blue color has faded.

Cindy Taylor said:
I have experienced the plastic gudgeon breaking, actually it was on my husband's boat. I think that the sun can weaken the plastic, but it doesn't help when something falls on it. The past year or two the stern of our lasers have been facing the hot west sun and the blue color has faded.

Cindy, you should try to keep your gudgeons out of the sun. At the very least put some SPF 40 on them!!! :D

Back